New Car - Finance vs Cash: best price

wonduhboy

My father-in-law is buying a new car - was paid out by insurance for a write-off and has the cash to buy new, around R500k.

I see all the specials/promos are built around interest rate/deposit/balloon etc - but nothing on a pure discount on the RSP for vehicles.

So what is the best way to get a good price from the dealer?
Offer cash?
or finance through their preferred bank (and pay it off as soon as you can, avoiding interest and penalties etc) - I know the dealers get 'commission' for this.

FWIW he's looking at a Mazda CX5

Neuk_

Executive Member
In my experience, most dealerships won't budge if you offer to pay cash, so keep an eye out for finance deals. My father did this with his current Ford Everest, got a nice discount as he went with Ford Finance, paid the first installment and then paid the car off in full.

wonduhboy

In my experience, most dealerships won't budge if you offer to pay cash, so keep an eye out for finance deals. My father did this with his current Ford Everest, got a nice discount as he went with Ford Finance, paid the first installment and then paid the car off in full.
This is what I was thinking... seems like a better way to get a discount is through financing and then settling.