New car - how much negotiation can I get away with?

shadow_man

Executive Member
Hi,

Car normally retails for R279 600 in CPT (I'm in CPT)
Dealer is selling new for R199 900 in JHB (I guess they're selling close to cost to clear floor due to Covid?)

Licensing + on the road is R6500 + freight to CPT is R4500.

Do I have any leeway to negotiate here as a cash buyer - and if so how much?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Hi,

Car normally retails for R279 600 in CPT (I'm in CPT)
Dealer is selling new for R199 900 in JHB (I guess they're selling close to cost to clear floor due to Covid?)

Licensing + on the road is R6500 + freight to CPT is R4500.

Do I have any leeway to negotiate here as a cash buyer - and if so how much?

It would be a first if someone paid a delivery fee for the actual delivery of the car.

The 1.2l is pap though, have you test driven one?

shadow_man

Executive Member
It would be a first if someone paid a delivery fee for the actual delivery of the car.

The 1.2l is pap though, have you test driven one?

For the missus / a weekend car (if i need something with a boot - have a bakkie).

I'd prefer the 1.5 - but not at like 100k more I won't.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
For the missus / a weekend car (if i need something with a boot - have a bakkie).

I'd prefer the 1.5 - but not at like 100k more I won't.
It's perfect for the missus, a friend recently bought a used one at the same dealer, he says it's most frustrating, he is coming from the first gen 1.4l.

R13...

Honorary Master
They're selling to you at cost or loss and you still think there's room to negotiate? If that's the car's actual retail no way they aren't losing money on that deal.

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Negotiate hard. That is not a 1 time only deal specifically for you, it is an open deal for the public. If they say no to you, deal is still there tomorrow.

Big Rat

So you are allready scoring R80 000, and you want more? As cash buyer they lose their kick backs from the bank. That is not a deal clencher anymore.
They will not drive the car down for you, Wear & tear, tires, in case of accident, so it is on the train or truck.
if someone does drive it down that is R1500 petrol, and how does the guy get back to Joburg?

Methinks you allready scored enough.

Wide

Show the dealer in CT, sure he can match that, you then save on freight costs, alternatively jump in a plane and drive the car down yourself.

vhonani.m

Could be that the offer applies to financing only but worth a shot, negotiate a cash price worst they can do is say no then you buy at that R199k anyway, they could at the very least waive either otr or freight as part of the deal. Cash is king! Unless of course they discounted it so much knowing they will make it back with finance costs

chrisc

Executive Member
I have a Honda Jazz 1.4

When I bought it in 2013, there was 27.5% discount. I refused to pay the "on the road" fees as my neighbour runs a used car place and would do it at cost, which was then about R500. Honda said it was impossible

Honda held out to 30 mins before closing on the last day of the month. I was able to do an immediate payment

shadow_man

Executive Member
They're selling to you at cost or loss and you still think there's room to negotiate? If that's the car's actual retail no way they aren't losing money on that deal.

Their claim is that they ordered a ton of stock and negotiated a better rate. According to Truecaller they're part of the Imperial group - so that may well be the case? Either way it smacks of normal dealers ripping the public off a ton normally then?

shadow_man

Executive Member
So you are allready scoring R80 000, and you want more? As cash buyer they lose their kick backs from the bank. That is not a deal clencher anymore.
They will not drive the car down for you, Wear & tear, tires, in case of accident, so it is on the train or truck.
if someone does drive it down that is R1500 petrol, and how does the guy get back to Joburg?

Methinks you allready scored enough.

Scoring - me thinks they're ripping the consumer off normally if they can afford to sell at this rate. So I have no problem with negotiating with a for huge profits business - who are profiteering and price colluding because they can. You don't ask, don't get.

XPD

R199 for this car is not a once in a lifetime deal considering the new model due shortly and the 2020 demo options with better value. Negotiate hard and be prepared to walk away. Give them your take it or leave it price and wait and see. I bought from other provinces before and never paid delivery costs. It’s a buyers market now. Ps: Jazz is an excellent choice, will likely outlive you.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
R199 for this car is not a once in a lifetime deal considering the new model due shortly and the 2020 demo options with better value. Negotiate hard and be prepared to walk away. Give them your take it or leave it price and wait and see. I bought from other provinces before and never paid delivery costs. It’s a buyers market now. Ps: Jazz is an excellent choice, will likely outlive you.
I honestly don't see the dealer budging on this one, R199k for a car that has all the safety features you can think of plus 6 airbags, what are you going to bargain on if you want to lower the price? The best bet is probably on the on the road cost and that's about a thousand or 2 off.

Honda are desperate for sales since they are not doing well and have been closing dealerships, I think that's where the big cuts on prices is coming from but even being that vulnerable they will still draw the line somewhere.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
It's perfect for the missus, a friend recently bought a used one at the same dealer, he says it's most frustrating, he is coming from the first gen 1.4l.
He is at the coast, performance won't be so bad.