New car prices in South Africa – 25 years ago vs Today

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
You're getting a lot better value for a car now - with advanced braking and airbags etc for a similar amount in real $ terms

Am I right that it was about R2.50/$ in 92, so one has to multiply by 5. If you do that, the $ import prices of the cars in the article haven't increased much.

Vice

Expert Member
This is where statisticians will have the upper hand. As simple as this article is, I wonder what it proves in relation to inflation, salaries today for similar jobs, etc. Hopefully MBB will save this article and re-run it in 2040.

SilverCode

This is where statisticians will have the upper hand. As simple as this article is, I wonder what it proves in relation to inflation, salaries today for similar jobs, etc. Hopefully MBB will save this article and re-run it in 2040.
In 2040 no one except the elite few will own cars because they are too expensive. Rather ride hailing companies and/or public transport will dominate the landscape with their autonomous electric vehicles.

redspark

Expert Member
I refuse to buy a new car (it simply holds no value). I am happy to put my hard-earned money on properties.