New case deals with a South African worker who was fired over R30 – here’s what happened

Arthur

Honorary Master
My dad used to say there are 2 types of employees
1. Those that steal from you
2. Those that you don’t know are stealing from you
I hope you haven't taken that to heart. One cannot navigate the world and emerge sane when informed by a hermeneutic of suspicion. It's too cynical, in my view, and that cramps the soul. There are many good people. Trust, latitude and a real sense of ownership are necessary if people are to grow into responsibility.

tRoN

Executive Member
I hope you haven't taken that to heart. One cannot navigate the world and emerge sane when informed by a hermeneutic of suspicion. It's too cynical, in my view, and that cramps the soul. There are many good people. Trust, latitude and a real sense of ownership are necessary if people are to grow into responsibility.
Stealing could mean various things.
Leaving early from work without permission.
Photocopying your private documents using the company machine.
Surfing the net or using your phone during company time.
Using the company phone to make private calls.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Stealing could mean various things.
Leaving early from work without permission.
Photocopying your private documents using the company machine.
Surfing the net or using your phone during company time.
Using the company phone to make private calls.
Agreed, but thankfully most companies don't have such draconian views on those things. In my opinion as long as the work is done and done properly, a bit of personal stuff here and there is actually beneficial as it lets a person run their life whilst still being at work.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Agreed, but thankfully most companies don't have such draconian views on those things. In my opinion as long as the work is done and done properly, a bit of personal stuff here and there is actually beneficial as it lets a person run their life whilst still being at work.
There's research showing that taking a draconian approach is counterproductive. On the other hand allowing a reasonable amount of personal use increases morale and productivity, actually giving back more value.

noxibox

Honorary Master

Daruk

Honorary Master
My dad used to say there are 2 types of employees
1. Those that steal from you
2. Those that you don’t know are stealing from you
And? Have you fulfilled his prophecy? :p

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
There's research showing that taking a draconian approach is counterproductive. On the other hand allowing a reasonable amount of personal use increases morale and productivity, actually giving back more value.
Precisely, also there is research starting to show that a shorter workday/workweek is also more productive than the standard 8 hour/5day week setup..