New Chinese law limits gaming for kids to 3 hours per week

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

Gaming stocks tumbled in China and Japan as regulators in Beijing cut back the amount of time children can play online in the world’s biggest gaming market.

The Hang Seng Tech Index slid as much as 1.5%, led by shares of Bilibili Inc. and NetEase Inc., which fell in Hong Kong after declines in their American depositary receipts. The renewed selloff helped drag the city’s benchmark Hang Seng Index to the lowest level in a week, while losses spread to gaming shares in Tokyo.

“The regulatory environment is clearly continuing to pose a headwind for sentiment around China’s tech stocks,” said Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Matthew Kanterman, “It’s tough to see a light at the end of the tunnel as that requires guessing the next move by the government.”

[Bloomberg]

WAslayer

Executive Member
Please change the article title.. It barely aligns with the content of the article..

The article reads all about how the law affected various stocks and then there is this one, single, lonely paragraph that actually speaks to the article title...

The new rules will only allow gaming platforms to offer services to minors from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Fridays, weekends and public holidays, according to state news agency Xinhua, which cited a release by the National Press and Publication Administration. China had previously restricted gaming hours for teens to 1.5 hours per day in 2019.

Sapphiron

Expert Member

Gaming stocks tumbled in China and Japan as regulators in Beijing cut back the amount of time children can play online in the world’s biggest gaming market.

The Hang Seng Tech Index slid as much as 1.5%, led by shares of Bilibili Inc. and NetEase Inc., which fell in Hong Kong after declines in their American depositary receipts. The renewed selloff helped drag the city’s benchmark Hang Seng Index to the lowest level in a week, while losses spread to gaming shares in Tokyo.

“The regulatory environment is clearly continuing to pose a headwind for sentiment around China’s tech stocks,” said Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Matthew Kanterman, “It’s tough to see a light at the end of the tunnel as that requires guessing the next move by the government.”

[Bloomberg]

Great, now Grindy games can GTFO

neoprema

Executive Member
Communism is lekker :unsure:
Well, its a case of :

The West: "Our kids spend so much time on games and its affecting them negatively, if only there was something we could do but little Johnny must be free to choose what to do with his life at 8 years old and i don't want him to shout back at me or hit me."

China: "Our kids spend so much time on games and its affecting them negatively, so we're cutting down the amount of time they can spend online. "

CTSA

Well, its a case of :

The West: "Our kids spend so much time on games and its affecting them negatively, if only there was something we could do but little Johnny must be free to choose what to do with his life at 8 years old and i don't want him to shout back at me or hit me."

China: "Our kids spend so much time on games and its affecting them negatively, so we're cutting down the amount of time they can spend online. "
Wrong, it's more like:

The West: "The parents get to do the parenting."

China: "The State does the parenting. No choice."

neoprema

Executive Member
Wrong, it's more like:

The West: "The parents get to do the parenting."

China: "The State does the parenting. No choice."
parenting? I don't know if you've been out lately but the wild, undisciplined things i see running around are not "parented". And thats not even in countries like the USA...

hj007

Expert Member
parenting? I don't know if you've been out lately but the wild, undisciplined things i see running around are not "parented". And thats not even in countries like the USA...
Still don't think it should be the state though...

grok

Honorary Master
Does this mean the rest of the world is going to have a chance to compete again in Starcraft?

Temujin

Honorary Master
Ironically stereotypically parents always complain about kids spending too much time playing video games (before that it was the couch potato watching tv).
:giggle: Parenting 2021: You spend far to much time gaming, go watch tv or netflix

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I guess this is the old rule updated to the new rule, and IIRC, the old rule was a temp rule, so I guess this is also a temp rule? Don't know, no original news source.

The old rule dictated a restriction on microtransaction expenditure and allowed minors 90-minute game time with a restrictive timeslot. Online anonymity was also banned.

I am sure the rules will be bypassed in any case.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
The idiots who support this level of communist nonsense won’t laugh so hard when your kid’s gaming penalises you as a parent.

There are actually morons on this forum who wants this much state control?

JohnStarr

Executive Member
We allow our kids an hour per day during the holidays only. Other than that, it's play outside when they don't have sports practice. Like we used to do in the old days.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Google translated:

National Press and Publication Administration on further strict management
Notice to effectively prevent minors from indulging in online games
2021-08-30 Font [Large Middle Small]
Guoxin Departure (2021) No. 14

Press and publication bureaus of all provinces, autonomous regions, and municipalities directly under the Central Government, all online game companies, and relevant industry organizations:

For a period of time, minors’ overuse or even indulging in online games has become a prominent problem, which has a negative impact on normal life, study and healthy growth. All aspects of society, especially the majority of parents, have responded strongly. In order to further strict management measures, resolutely prevent minors from indulging in online games, and effectively protect the physical and mental health of minors, the relevant requirements are hereby notified as follows.

1. Strictly limit the time for providing online game services to minors. Since the implementation of this notice, all online game companies can only provide minors with one-hour online game services from 20 to 21:00 on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and legal holidays. Provide online game services to minors.

2. Strictly implement the real-name registration and login requirements for online game user accounts. All online games must be connected to the online game anti-addiction real-name verification system of the National Press and Publication Administration. All online game users must use real and valid identity information to register for game accounts and log in to online games. Online game companies must not use any form (including tourist experience mode) Provide game services to users who have not registered and logged in with their real names.

3. Publishing management departments at all levels strengthen the supervision and inspection of online game companies' implementation of the time period for providing online game services, real-name registration and login, and standardized payment, etc., and increase the frequency and intensity of inspections. For online game companies that have not strictly implemented, follow the law Severely deal with it in accordance with regulations.

4. Actively guide families, schools and other social sectors to create a good environment that is conducive to the healthy growth of minors, perform their guardianship duties in accordance with the law, strengthen online literacy education for minors, and urge minors to take action when they use online games. Authentic identity verification, strictly enforce the rules on the time period for minors to use online games, guide minors to form good online habits, and prevent minors from indulging in online games.

5. The minors mentioned in this notice refer to citizens under the age of 18. The online game companies include platforms that provide online game services.

This notice will come into effect on September 1, 2021. "Notice of the National Press and Publication Administration on Preventing Minors from Indulging in Online Games" (Guoxinqiang [2019] No. 34) If relevant provisions are inconsistent with this notice, this notice shall prevail.

National Press and Publication Administration

August 30, 2021

It seems to be applicable to online gaming only, where gaming is rendered as a service. Point 2 has been introduced in 2019 already, but I guess it is now 'strictly' implemented.

Laws like these won't go down well in more socially developed nations. This is brute state control, the state decide what is best and that is it.

I have to ask whether the old 2019 rules will then still apply?

Tencent will sure take a knock.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
We allow our kids an hour per day during the holidays only. Other than that, it's play outside when they don't have sports practice. Like we used to do in the old days.

That is called parenting, we raise our own children. In China, people are being socially aligned by the state ideology.