New Communications Minister: Roy Padayachie

Hashishim786

i know i can be boo'ed at for this, but as some one said from durban, if he is same caliber as Pravin Gordhan, then it could be good for the industry, Pravin really even though there was no benefit to us as we are the TAXPAYERS, but he certainly revolutionized and changed how SARS worked, and made it more streamline and inline with international standards, even as finance minister now his doing a good job, Cant beat Trevor though, but time iwll tell for how good this man is, hope he makes change :>

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Well, I got the impression when he was Deputy MoC that Roy had a unrequited passion for the communication portfolio. I hope he is able to convert his former rhetoric into action, now that he is at the helm.

Lux Maharaj

MC Hammer - Can't Touch This, should be Zuma's new revolutionary song

2 Legit...2 legit ...2 Legit 2 Quit.....

I emailed the Dept of Communications: If they could prompt Mobile World Congress 2011 to be in SA rather than Barcelona.

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I don't think he had any authority at that stage to make a difference (poison ivy was in charge). This is hopefully a change for the good.
Hopefully Roy will have learnt his lesson - 'do not make promises that you cannot keep'.
Where does all these axed ministers go to ? .. Anyone know perhaps ?.
They are recycled and given the title "minister without portfolio".

Shayd

Expert Member
Say what you want about Zuma, he seems a hell of a lot more dynamic than Mbeki.

Carbon_Fibre

Expert Member
Roy is a good appointment, imo. Hopefully he does a good job. Thankfully nyanda is out.

The 'old boys' at SA Rugby & SA Cricket must be *****ting bricks at the thought of fikile mbalula as the new minister of sport.

rusty1404

Wonderful news that Nyanda is gone. The new chap appears to have an education! I'm already impressed.

gpe

Nyanda made a ton while in office, he probably couldn't care less. Months at the Twelve Apostles Hotel, armored BMW's, illegal tenders. Complete embarrassment.

entrepr

Expert Member
Wasn't it Nyanda who finally tackled call termination rates and actually got movement. He certainly wasn't alone in raising profile, but he did get some action.

Apart from that - surrounded by scandals and rumours of the worst kind. It got to the point that even Zuma could no longer tolerate it.

Padayachee has potential - but let's see what he does. We need a national broadband strategy, cost-based termination rates (40c is more a thumbsuck than a calculation), lower mobile tariffs, local loop unbundling, spectrum allocation, naked adsl, a more efficient ICASA (eg for application processing) and some attempt at servicing the under-serviced areas, before we can start rating performance!

markings

Expert Member
The easiest way for Padyachee to gain some early kudos is to declare that now that SA is a member of the ITU it will adhere to its recommendations iro digital TV standards, that mean DVB-T.
This cabinet reshuffle should make it easier to reverse that stupid reopening and review of the standards debate.

Asterix_T

Now Nyanda can slip under the radar and enjoy all the millions he recieved hoping no one will persue him.

sunsoffun

Expert Member
As much as things change... as much as they stay the same. Ivy, Nyanda and now Roy. hmmm, time will tell.

BTW, Roy... please get the gov to sell their shares in the comms industry so we can have true competition.

hammell

Thank goodness - why on Earth the ex-SANDF general was made comms minister was always a mystery to me...

MickeyD

RIP
They are recycled and given the title "minister without portfolio".
They enjoy their days living off the Ministerial Pension Fund, with plenty of other perks (free flights on SAA, etc.).

mfumbesi

Expert Member
They enjoy their days living off the Ministerial Pension Fund, with plenty of other perks (free flights on SAA, etc.).

^This is the most depressing thing for me, as these benefits are life-time guaranteed. I have a friend whose Aunt was in the Nats government way back in the late 70s and early 80s, she is still enjoying these benefits. We will be maintaining his (Nyanda) life-style for a long time........