New coronavirus cases in South Africa continue to plummet

Nqindi

Expert Member
Less testing = less cases
If we stopped testing we’d have zero cases
Would be nice if the genpop was being tested to the same level as those with means
There are in fact more people being tested.
Edit: ignore me. I didn't read.

daveza

Honorary Master
So how does it compare with other countries on the same latitude ?

ponder

Honorary Master
So how does it compare with other countries on the same latitude ?

There aren't many countries on our latitude.

Markd

Expert Member
What's not clear to me is who is and isn't being tested. Are they only treating people that walk in looking for a test owing to illness? I'm worried that we'll see a disproportionate number of deaths to infections because we are not proactively hunting this virus down. It's already in the townships so unless you are all over those ****ing places hunting it down, it will spread like absolute wildfire. i reckon the wealthier South Africans are ok, because a) we're not travelling and b) we are not too bad at observing lockdown restrictions. The poorer guys are in for a hiding and government needs to stop screwing around and get in there.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
There aren't many countries on our latitude.
Even Botswana had their first few cases today. And Mozambique...bound to be quite a few there, but I can guarantee they aren't testing in volume (or at all)

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I hope 'we' are correct, there is no chance our country will be able to hide a disaster.

To be honest, our headlines on this are like the Bitcoin topics.

Fjorko

Expert Member
They speak of AUS - but i think this counts for all countries ( video starts towards the end ) :

I pray that this never comes to pass.

Mirai

Executive Member
What's not clear to me is who is and isn't being tested. Are they only treating people that walk in looking for a test owing to illness? I'm worried that we'll see a disproportionate number of deaths to infections because we are not proactively hunting this virus down. It's already in the townships so unless you are all over those ****ing places hunting it down, it will spread like absolute wildfire. i reckon the wealthier South Africans are ok, because a) we're not travelling and b) we are not too bad at observing lockdown restrictions. The poorer guys are in for a hiding and government needs to stop screwing around and get in there.

"PUI" are being tested only, officially.

That's someone who has symptoms of at least one of these symptoms, cough, short of breath or fever with at least one of the following:
Close contact with Covid-19 positive or suspected Covid-19 positive person or
Someone who works or was treated at a facility which has treated Covid-19 positive patients, or
History of travel to region with community spread (Italy, PRC, etc)
or
Pneumona of unknown cause.

So they're symptomatic people with some sort of epidemiological risk factor. So they're reasonably selected. So out of 30,000 tests or so 1,400 or so are positive, some could be false negatives too, but that's less likely than with pure symptom-less persons.

saffakanera

Expert Member
"PUI" are being tested only, officially.

That's someone who has symptoms of at least one of these symptoms, cough, short of breath or fever with at least one of the following:
Close contact with Covid-19 positive or suspected Covid-19 positive person or
Someone who works or was treated at a facility which has treated Covid-19 positive patients, or
History of travel to region with community spread (Italy, PRC, etc)
or
Pneumona of unknown cause.

So they're symptomatic people with some sort of epidemiological risk factor. So they're reasonably selected. So out of 30,000 tests or so 1,400 or so are positive, some could be false negatives too, but that's less likely than with pure symptom-less persons.
Would testing "PUI" only, when we have mega townships, not be a bad idea? Chances are if those residents get visibly sick then it already spread FAR and wide? How long do you go from infected to "I need to get to a hospital!"?