New COVID-19 cases in South Africa revealed

/dev/null

Expert Member
Infected during the lockdown at a hospital, a prison and a retail pharmacy.

RedViking

Nord of the South
The low death rate means the lockdown worked.
I'm not so sure. I don't argue that lockdown didn't make a difference, but even with a lockdown, it is way to low (compared to the fear that was pushed down our throats). People still have zero social distancing when going to town and your informal areas it is life as usual, besides more people go sleep hungry. Over a 100 000 tests and only a couple thousand infected.... I don't buy it. Something is not right here or it just never really impacted South Africa.

Azg

Expert Member
I'm not so sure. I don't argue that lockdown didn't make a difference, but even with a lockdown, it is way to low (compared to the fear that was pushed down our throats). People still have zero social distancing when going to town and your informal areas it is life as usual, besides more people go sleep hungry. Over a 100 000 tests and only a couple thousand infected.... I don't buy it. Something is not right here or it just never really impacted South Africa.
I know. There is insufficient data (tests) or the worst is still to come. I was just responding to his attempt at sarcasm.

My opinion is that it is better if we end up with low death rates and low numbers of people infected. Those with 20/20 hindsight will say the government over reacted in locking down the country. But they had to make a call at the time based on the information and the experiences of other countries.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Over a 100 000 tests and only a couple thousand infected.... I don't buy it. Something is not right here or it just never really impacted South Africa.

And they're pretty much only testing screened people that might be considered positive & those through contact tracing.

markings

Expert Member
To what extent are the COVID-19 reserved hospitals and beds occupied? As it is likely that everyone will get the infection sooner or later shouldn't we aim for close to 100% occupancy to get over this pandemic as quickly as possible? Manage the infection rate by small geographic areas with different lockdown rules.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
7 too many. We'll deeply mourn them by calling for an extended lockdown, based on adjusting the Health Minister's death-rate down to 1 every 3 months. The economy was broken already so lifting the lockdown for economic reasons is a nonsense argument which will just lead to more death from COVID-19.