New Customer - 7-Day Speedtest with Amobia 3MB uncapped WiMax

Intox

To be honest it seems like our situation was an anomaly - maybe other people have some experience to share... I'm happy to just move on though...
I have exactly the same issues as you with Amobia 3mb uncapped.
Put in cancellation 1 week after I got the connection.

Atm just just have it connected to a secondary PC downloading, it's slow but at least I can get some value back from it.

mikez69

Hi guys

Iv got a 384 line uncapped from amobia, and its been great since day1.
I got it due to telkom not been able to give me a line and im about 3km from tower with direct line of sight.

Hope this helps..;)

Dan The Man

Just got it installed today, and bitterly disappointed! can't believe I went and spent R2600 on a 'complex' install.
3mb uncapped option as well and this is all I've gotten all night long:

SharkBait

Executive Member
Maybe go to the capped service and check again. From what I have read, the uncapped service isn't so good...

mikez69

wow that is really not right, get them to come out a check the cpe and make sure they check at the tower side to...

I have done another test on my 384 line...
What area are u in??

mikez69

You should be geting more though... give it a few days and see the outcome..
If u not happy get them to check the tower and ur cpe..
Im also in JHB, but the last few days my torrent speeds have been like 8kbs and today they back to normal 38kps...

Hope u come right keep us updated on the speedtest ;)

redcliff

^^ better than yesterday - but certainly not what I'm paying for.

I'm in Jhb, 8km away from the tower.
Does not seem right - Also in JHB, also pretty far away from tower (not quite 8km's though). The last few days seemed a bit iffy but I just did a test and got 3.26Mb/s http://www.speedtest.net/result/1285670205.png

As the others have said, get Amobia to check both your side again as well as the tower (early on I also complained bitterly and only after 'tower maintenance' my link got up to the 3Mb speed)

sly

I've got the 2mb capped service, works great, I've been using it for a month now

sly

Nah, normal surfing and downloads, pings are at 25ms on average. I'm 2km from the tower..the guy who did the install said there is someone who is 10km away who does a lot of gaming who is very happy.

Census

How many people are happy with Amobia? I'm having the exact same problem, very slow speeds, sometimes non existent, customer service really bad.

Moe5508

Am hoping performance is location-dependent...just signed up and waiting for installation now and will monitor how it goes...location in the Randburg area...I mean what other WiMax alternatives are there after the shutdown of Screamer last week? :confused:

Nookie

Am hoping performance is location-dependent...just signed up and waiting for installation now and will monitor how it goes...location in the Randburg area...I mean what other WiMax alternatives are there after the shutdown of Screamer last week? :confused:
Neotel. Price is a bit high, but from what I have been able to gather it is far better then their previous "internet" products. It's unshaped to.

Moe5508

Neotel. Price is a bit high, but from what I have been able to gather it is far better then their previous "internet" products. It's unshaped to.
Yeah, my current contract is actually with Neotel on the Neoflex Data and I put in a request for them to come and do a WiMax site survey 2 months before the contract expired but they just never pitched and yes at R1,299 p.m. Neotel is pricey and not an option for me.

Last edited:

SharkBait

Executive Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but Amobia doesn't use WiMax? :confused:

To anyone on Amobia uncapped, what sort of speeds are you getting for downloads? please spec where the downloads are from eg P2P, newsservers. Are you happy with the service?

Below is the email correspondence we had with peter savage. He details some very comprehensive diagnostics. I don't understand some of it to be honest, a bit technical for me. That said, we haven't got the desired line speed, still. I've been testing frequently this weekend. It was particularly bad yesterday evening. At the moment of writing this I cracked 0.94mbps with a 533ms ping and 0.4mbps upload speed.

Let's see what Amobia say?

@Amobi: still not a great connection guys. What can you suggest?
face it, amobia is the worst internet provider ever. 2016 and stll the same isseus