New Cyber-Infrastructure project takes shape

Ekhaatvensters

Executive Member
This just reminds me, I don't know how many hundreds of articles I can read about things taking shape without seeing anything happen. There's a limit to this... really. :/

Tns

Executive Member
in other words more talk and gravy and not much else.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
This is talking about GEN3 if I'm not mistaken, and it is happening.

Obviously its only for the tertiary institutions and research places... but its a network that is damned impressive from what I've seen so far.

Paul_S

Executive Member
This just reminds me, I don't know how many hundreds of articles I can read about things taking shape without seeing anything happen. There's a limit to this... really. :/

The GEN2 network has already been running for several years.
They're talking about the next generation network.

I think you need to do some reading.
http://www.tenet.ac.za/#h1

Tanarri

Well if anything 'network related' at UP is anything to go by, then I sure as hell missed the whole GEN2 thing. It's slower than drunk snail pulling a wheelbarrow. Hmm... maybe the fascist leaders of the university keeps the whole thing to themselves :p

Paul_S

Executive Member
Well if anything 'network related' at UP is anything to go by, then I sure as hell missed the whole GEN2 thing. It's slower than drunk snail pulling a wheelbarrow. Hmm... maybe the fascist leaders of the university keeps the whole thing to themselves :p

What was slow about it? The Internet access?
The amount of SAT-3 bandwidth allocated to the tertiary networks isn't that much and that's not the main aim of the network in the first place.
The main aim of the network is to allow the universities inside South Africa to communicate lots of scientific data between themselves. Basically a LAN.
I know Tenet host open source software on their FTP server(s) and they are darn fast.