New data shows weekly deaths in South Africa during lockdown vs previous years

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
TLDR, like 100 more people died in a week.
Twice that since Monday, and doubling every week. Those charts are all 7-10 days old.

Edit: Model 'guesstimate' of 3200 excess deaths in the Cape Metro by the end of June.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
I really like the idea behind this info, so I really hope myBB keeps it updated, especially with the lockdown being lessened.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I really like the idea behind this info, so I really hope myBB keeps it updated, especially with the lockdown being lessened.
Just go to the UCT site and see for yourself. In the end the mortality rates are the ONLY reliable indicator we have. The govt can't do much to stuff up these figures except possibly mess up the death classifications slightly.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Its the only data that makes any sense IMO. The number of tests, the number of positive cases, the number of hotspots are all rubbish IMO...
Just go to the UCT site and see for yourself. In the end the mortality rates are the ONLY reliable indicator we have. The govt can't do much to stuff up these figures except possibly mess up the death classifications slightly.
The downside is that these weekly numbers are always 7-10 days behind, so you can't see growing trends.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Its the only data that makes any sense IMO. The number of tests, the number of positive cases, the number of hotspots are all rubbish IMO...

The downside is that these weekly numbers are always 7-10 days behind, so you can't see growing trends.
I'm not too worried about the growing trends here, my own graphs are more indicative of what's happening. What's interesting to me is the comparison to historical data. The clever people making decisions never mention this.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I'm not too worried about the growing trends here, my own graphs are more indicative of what's happening. What's interesting to me is the comparison to historical data. The clever people making decisions never mention this.
No, they don't, because it does not feed the hype. And because it does not generally support the doomsayer predictions.
If you have followed anything in the international thread, you will see that there are people out there commenting on it. Unfortunately, there are also people out there using simple facts to push their own weird ideas as well.

In the ned when this whole business blows over, the real picture will come out and then for the first time the true impact on lives will be apparent before it all fades from public memory and becomes an interesting footnote for the experts to talk about.