New driver’s licence to be introduced in South Africa in the next year: Mbalula

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Not a single word in the article about why we actually need the new cards.

What a colossal waste of money.

FFS the government can't afford pay increases and people are loses their jobs left and right but we're needlessly replacing driver's license cards?!?!?
We must have read different articles

Sinbad

Honorary Master
just another excuse to loot and steal, nothing to be shocked at here.
coming soon, license plates, and even better, new license plates once a year,
and road tax, like the UK, even though you need a 4X4 to drive with all the potholes, why not just make people pay a road tax?

its all corruption at this stage, nothing is actually to benefit people that pay taxes.
You already pay road tax. That's the licensing fee.

At least in the uk it's all online. No paperwork whatsoever.

BayCityRoller

Presumably the existing ones will still be valid ?

I got my renewal lic. card only last month, so don't want to go through the application process again for at least another 5 years !

ponder

Honorary Master
Useless cnuts. When I converted to the current card system I lost my bike license...

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
New driver’s licence to be introduced in South Africa in the next year: Mbalula Transport minister Fikile Mbalula says that the Driving Licence Card Account (DLCA) is currently in the final phase of designing a new driver's licence card.
New driver’s licence to be introduced in South Africa in the next year: Mbalula

Transport minister Fikile Mbalula says that the Driving Licence Card Account (DLCA) is currently in the final phase of designing a new driver's licence card.
Yet another countless example worldwide of a digital excersize, once you entred into digital, you binded to forever newer costs, digital just never "seems to get it right", I wonder why this etopia ever dawned apon the world, it created more problems than solved and its getting worse, and its driving force is forever "improving".
Seeing its now the 3rd basic resource, something forced apon you for has to have, its sucking huge amounts of money from monetary systems crippelling it, poorly understood due to its abstract components and nature.

Surv0

Executive Member
This is what you call nonsense:

"“The introduction of the new driving licence involves a new design of the driving licence card, and the re-engineering of processes to allow for agility and focus on delivering services efficiently and quickly."

Somebody wants more money, and ANC wants to give it to them, via a stupid project of re-engineering a perfectly fine card as it is.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Yet another countless example worldwide of a digital excersize, once you entred into digital, you binded to forever newer costs, digital just never "seems to get it right", I wonder why this etopia ever dawned apon the world, it created more problems than solved and its getting worse, and its driving force is forever "improving".
Seeing its now the 3rd basic resource, something forced apon you for has to have, its sucking huge amounts of money from monetary systems crippelling it, poorly understood due to its abstract components and nature.
What?

No. Done right it's amazing.

These Muppets need to learn or literally just 'reuse' the process other countries use successfully.

This was my experience , 6 years ago to renew my driver's licence in the UK, while in SA

Apply
Do you want a new photo, if yes, they go to the passport service and pull that photo and show it to you. Like it, yes. Done
Pay I guess 40 GBP online
Three days later , it's at my front door

I've applied for passports for my new born children (in this case there is lots of paper to send via courier for proof) but all of that done online and I got my children's passports all the way here in South Africa.

Car licenses. Equally Amazing and efficient. You want, the system automatically checks if you have a valid MOT and insurance. If not , sorry. Sort it out. These are connected systems. Same with MOT, you don't have a valid car license, well that could be fun. Insurance, no MOT or you never declared it offroad - good luck. They all cross check each other.

For SA, there is nothing preventing optometrists from having a platform where they document/complete your eye test result which the new drivers license platform could read to determine if all needs met to issue a new one completely online.

Let's see what will these fsckers have locally to solve the problem efficiency

Stefanmuller

Expert Member
I was just thinking, after all the rediculous and random rules imposed on us during Covid, stuff like this license thing will be even easier for the public to just accept and abide by. Since Covid the government can pretty much do whatever they want, the populace already proved they will eat any **** dished up for them and seemingly enjoy it too. We have been soften up to a putty. There will be many more of this coming IMO.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
These Muppets need to learn or literally just 'reuse' the process other countries use successfully.
When I "exchanged" my SA license for a UK one I was 30. It was valid for 40 years! None of this 5 year carp. When I got back to SA I didn't "exchange" my UK for SA, I just went to the licensing department here and requested a new card as I had "misplaced" mine. A few weeks later I got a new SA card. No need to get ride of your foreign license within 12 months, with all the queuing and proof of when you came back.

I'm back off to the UK in July so going to do a change of address online so my new one is waiting for me when I get there.

netstrider

Expert Member
Well, eHomeaffairs works, sort of, when you're lucky. Same with eNatis. The former is notoriously slow and the latter with its "batches" is just not efficient enough.

The AARTO site isn't that great either.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
All we need is an online portal, upload your eye test certificate and photo, update details if necessary, pay ... wait for delivery.

AdrianH

Expert Member

Naturalized SA citizens (like me) can't apply for ID Cards, only SA citizens by birth can.

My wife has a friend in a regional Home Affairs office that helped us renew our passports in 2018. She told us that the system doesn't cater for SA citizens that weren't born in SA applying for ID cards. I asked what happens then if I lose my green ID book, she said they will just print another. She also told us the last feedback they received was that the HA system will be updated to handle naturalized SA citizens during 2016. Still hasn't been done.

qscwbt

Expert Member
Just have a look at gun licenses applications. They changed the rules. They over complicated everything. Now licenses and competencies expire, and you need to keep re applying.

The process has been so messed up you can wait for 200 + work days to get a competence approved and another 200 + days to have a license approved. Then no card has been printed yet.

They keep changing systems and there is no capacity or competent people to do the work.