New DStv entertainment channel with SABC "golden oldies" launched

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Awesome! Looking forward to being able to download some of my favourite SA shows soon.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Remastered or just your standard VHS to DVD reruns with audio sounding like it's coming though a blanket-covered speaker?

Bighit

Expert Member
Don't get why it's on a mid range DSTV bouquet, and not entry level as with the other 4 SABC channels.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Don't get why it's on a mid range DSTV bouquet, and not entry level as with the other 4 SABC channels.

Because, despite all the official noise, it is aimed squarely at middle class white people's nostalgia for a time when the SABC actually commissioned sensible material.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Motsoeneng said: “It is a wonderful day for the SABC. It is important for the young ones to know where we come from. In this new channel, they will see pictures in black and white.

It seems smoking good stuff on television is the new norm.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Here is an extract out of the Minister's address at the usual "party"

"Minister Muthambi said the new channel is targeted at South African audiences of all ages and will showcase some of South Africa’s old favourites and classics of loved comedy, drama, kiddies and lifestyle shows from the 1980s and 1990s.

“It will allow lots of nostalgic moments and provide viewers [an opportunity] to reminisce about the good old days with daily doses of their favourite programmes from Agter Elke Man and the hilarious Sgudi Snaysi to the ground-breaking use of tech-animation in Interster and the goings-on in Pumpkin Patch. Thank you for bringing back our favourites,” she said."

Now, how does the SABC and the Minister imagine this content, is supposed to reach " South Africa audiences of all ages" when it is restricted to select packages at the top end of MC's pay-tv offering?

And exactly what are the options open to the SABC before the 5-year contract expires? Will the SABC for example be able to release the channel on the DTT platform (assuming of course that the DTT roll out now "stays on target"), as soon as the DTT platform goes "live" ??

Many outstanding questions lie buried beneath all of this.

Last edited:

albertsunga51

Its is great but still for me I can't get any thing I mean how I may going to be watching pleas its quite good right

zululami

Banned
I really can't wait for my all time favourites... a few come to mind Ifa lakwaMthethwa, Ndenzeni, Ityala lamawele, uLulu ubuyile, Abakwazidenge, Hlala Kwabafileyo, Kwakhala Nyonini, Velaphi, Deliwe, Ubambo Lwami - TV was awesome back then and what I enjoyed most was the pure Zulu the cast spoke!!! We miss that nowadays, they've bastardized our language with these new dramas... FOKK!!!

Bighit

Expert Member
I really can't wait for my all time favourites... a few come to mind Ifa lakwaMthethwa, Ndenzeni, Ityala lamawele, uLulu ubuyile, Abakwazidenge, Hlala Kwabafileyo, Kwakhala Nyonini, Velaphi, Deliwe, Ubambo Lwami - TV was awesome back then and what I enjoyed most was the pure Zulu the cast spoke!!! We miss that nowadays, they've bastardized our language with these new dramas... FOKK!!!

Sounds like you had more Zulu back then, then now.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
They already showing some old stuff on SABC but the sound and picture quality has degraded substantially.

Or its the same but we're spoilt with hd.