New DStv Explora Ultra launched

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
There go all future Netflix vs DSTV comparisons. Which is probably a good idea as any discussion of internet access fees is moot.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I am trying to be positive and enjoy this day of streaming-only option - I remember 1974 when SA had no TV only Springbok Radio

Springbok Radio was a far better entertainment service than the current SABC by a very, very long mile. The only readon DSTV is any better than SABC is their sport offerings. Government is determined to Ef that up as well, as soon as they can.

Joe Average

It still requires a dish? Thought the new Explora Decoder would be able to run "everything" from an internet connection only? It doesn't make sense.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
It still requires a dish? Thought the new Explora Decoder would be able to run "everything" from an internet connection only? It doesn't make sense.

To you, and me, it might not make sense, they in their wisdom think otherwise for now.

damian24

So for £20 installation I get a Sky Q 1TB UHD box installed (no cost for the box on a 18 month sub), it includes every streaming app available in the UK and extends the wireless network in home...

for another £25 a month I've got a basic Sky package that also includes a Netflix subscription, recording and multiple viewing environments (non of the "extra" viewing fees)

Sky has 12.5m subscribers, both DSTV and Sky have similar content costs and both distribute to satellite from the UK (caveat DSTV only for their international channels).

So how does Sky give the thing away while DSTV charge more than a car cost in 1980.? (VW Golf that is...)

D

Apogee

So for £20 installation I get a Sky Q 1TB UHD box installed (no cost for the box on a 18 month sub), it includes every streaming app available in the UK and extends the wireless network in home...

for another £25 a month I've got a basic Sky package that also includes a Netflix subscription, recording and multiple viewing environments (non of the "extra" viewing fees)

Sky has 12.5m subscribers, both DSTV and Sky have similar content costs and both distribute to satellite from the UK (caveat DSTV only for their international channels).

So how does Sky give the thing away while DSTV charge more than a car cost in 1980.? (VW Golf that is...)

D
DStv is also 'giving it away' with a contract, just like Sky.

DStv Contract.jpg

Gemsbok

Happy to connect to Netflix and YouTube via my TV box bought for R695.00 and dont have to use dstv expensive services.
I really really dont care what dstv have to offer. Done with it....

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
What's the deal with their odd africanized misspelled names? Walka, streama, explora etc