New e-toll plan could charge drivers 10c per gantry

Urist

Expert Member
They can't do anything if no-one pays.

I'll start doing my civic duty when my municipality starts doing their civic duty and gets a clean audit....
I live in the NW, so i`m sure hell will freeze over before that happens... I "owe" around R6000 for gauteng roads, but the main road in my town is worse than a farm road.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
You'll be in more shît if you do something stupid like this
It's only cheating if you're caught.

Just scrap e-tolls and increase the licence fees in Gauteng.
Why should only Gauteng pay for it? This was part of the discourse and what should have been sorted out in the invisible public comment phase. The whole economy runs through and benefits from these highways. After they were paid off we could have focused on improving infrastructure in other parts if the whole country pitched in.

joshuatree

Expert Member
Just follow suit , and burn the s ..t if you don't agree - isn't that the way of the majority ?

ConfusedR

And nothing will stop them by increasing the tariffs by 300% in the very near future................

furpile

Expert Member
SABC: Nobody is paying their license, lets make it more expensive.
SANRAL: Nobody is paying E-tolls, lets make it cheaper, again.

Unfortunately, SA has become used to not caring about laws and rules, so at this point E-tolls are hopeless. Everybody is used to not paying, so they won't start paying now.

The way it is currently, the government is paying the shortfall from taxes, so everybody that pays taxes is paying for these roads. If they instead used a part of the fuel levy, everybody that buys fuel will pay for the roads.

The bonus with a fuel levy is that it is not only Gauteng that has highways. When those roads are paid off the fuel levy could be used to pay for the highways in Cape Town (where they also wanted to implement E-tolls) and the rest of the country.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
National fuel levy is the only fair option for Gauteng residents.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Just add more TAX to the fuel price.....They already continued this trend with sugar TAX

maeztro

User pays. Sometimes. I know the whacky weed is legally, but isn't that only in your own house and not in public areas? Do they do meetings in someones back yard?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
The 10 cents per gantry sounds reasonable, and the max sounds ok, and thats what makes these types of parasitic additions feasable, live and let live, not live and extort.
1-This is acceptable.
2-This should not set the path for huge increases further down the line, as we have seen in many cases after a "cost structure" was created. The cost start innocent, but is then hijacked and extorted down the line.
3-This rule should stick for this generation at least who paid for it in taxes already.
4-This is a "service" to the motorist, not a quick get rich scheme, if the construction was any good it should last for 5 generations at least, so whats the hurry in racking up costs.

Extras:
The same for bank and financial costs, not ,1% plus ranges , but round about ,001%-1% range due to huge amounts flowing..
This should and could have been the approach for this etoll system from day one. None of us would have batted an eyelid and the whole thing would have been accepted. Morons thought they could drain the white middle class wallet in one foul (fowl) swoop. Thank the pope we showed them the middle finger.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
You pay once - they have you on record, and you have no option but to keep on paying - even if the fees get increased.
How about - no.

HumanShield

Nice little carrot for what will be a a very large stick to beat you with. Or in true government style, to manually store it within yourself in a position that limits exposure to sunlight.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Looks like the government had alienated most of its taxpayer base anyway.

Good, they must keep it up, sooner or later something gonna break.