New energy law planned for Cape

Moederloos

Honorary Master
As usual, it always comes down to cost for the end-user. You're talking bout cost and energy savings, and a significant enough portion of the power produced by Eskom is used by ppl with illegal connections, subsidized by ppl who pay for electricity.

Along with this new energy saving legislation, there's also plans for an 18% increase in electricity costs.

Ppl in the lower income brackets don't buy energy saver bulbs, cos they just can't afford and it. The only ppl conscious about saving electricity are the ppl who pay for it.

You'd be surprised how many shacks have got fridges, stoves and electric heaters.

So I believe my previous statement carries some relevance to this thread.

At the time you first mentioned illegal connections, your comment had no relevance - the thread is about renewable energy - it makes no difference who uses that energy or if they pay for it or not - the source of the energy is the subject at hand.

Since then, the thread has moved more towards energy saving - nonetheless, solar panels are an alternate, greener source. Cost savings are mentioned as a means to justify the expense.

Again, illegal connections are not relevant.

BCO

Honorary Master
Well, as some of you may recall, I installed a solar water heater a couple of months ago. The government gave me a R6k rebate, so it cost me R14k in all. That translates to a R140 monthly increase on my bond repayments. My household's electricity usage was about R400p/m before I installed it. Give me a couple of months and I can tell you exactly what percentage of my electricity usage a solar water heater reduces.

Just to note, I did not install a solar heater to save money, but to reduce my emissions. Using green technology often saves money, but that's not the only reason you should do it - saving the world's a pretty good reason too :p

vespax

Expert Member
Interesting and short (so far) discussion on local energy generation over on this forum. Treehugger

BlueCollar... See ya over there as well. ;)

BCO

Honorary Master
HA! I saw a vespax on the TH forums, and I wondered if it was you. *shakes hands with vespax*

flarkit

Executive Member
Well, as some of you may recall, I installed a solar water heater a couple of months ago. The government gave me a R6k rebate, so it cost me R14k in all.
Can you give more detail on the "R6K rebate" from the govt, please?
:confused:

StrongTurd

Expert Member
Powering domestic electrical loads off solar PV panels are EXTREMELY expensive. There's no ways that you'll ever get a positive ROI, rebates or not. What compounds the problem in our warm climate is that batteries do not last; they are almost like a consumable item that needs replacing every couple of years.

Still, there are more reasons than mere economic ones to convert to renewable energy. I am currently in the process of assembling a PC that will run off Solar as well as installing 12 volt LED lighting throughout my house, also driven off PV panels. Trust me, the cost of this exercise was/is truly shocking. My consolation is that when Escom screw up next time I won't be affected.

BCO

Honorary Master
I contacted somebody about running my home off PV power and he quoted me R700k!

Koos Custodiet

It may even see the introduction of a mechanism that pays residents who produce their own renewable energy, to feed this energy back into the national grid.
BlueCollar said:
I contacted somebody about running my home off PV power and he quoted me R700k!
Reality meets wishful thinking head-on.