• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Latest One-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Home Mini Smart Speaker and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.

New era for SA Car of the Year (SA COTY 2019)

asshat99

look until 2012, notice anything?
most of the cars are simple cars that anybody can own, Toyota and Mazda and Hyundai that you see thousands on the roads.
Porsche had no unveiled anything standout for ages there.

Your bias is showing. You are missing the very expensive audis, BMWs, MB, expensive accord, 735 before 2012. And the value astra afterwards. It is almost as if you are as biased and unobjective as the judges... Shame, it really is just like rugby. You have to support 'your' team even if they are not the best.

All those thousands of 735i's on the road in 1988 lol. We were waist-deep in 528i's in 1997 right? Ridiculous.

And again, this is not 'popular attainable transport for SA', because then a ride in a ride in a 20 yold quantum would win everytime. Is this a complicated concept?

asshat99

l
expensive cars that you cant afford on an average salary, Porsche and Porsche and more Porsche.
(frequently on lowest selling cars in SA)
You also know nothing about the industry. The average SA salary does not even buy a VIVO - making it a pointless metric. This is not 'Cheapest of the Year'. It is the standout car of the year. Also, Porsche sold more boxsters, caymans and Macans than the retardo Fiat 500 suggestion. They sell nearly 100 cars every month. Way more than fiat.

Good thing the average South African is not a judge. Brand loyalty blinds objectivitivity.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I don't often agree with eg2505 but I can partly see sense in what he is saying.
thank you, for once I speak truth.

reality is that the judges are human, not machines, and can be influenced and bribed very subtly.

if we had something similar to Edmund.com or an aggregated basis to judge cars, measured by a computer
IE: how many people think X car is good? how many people who brought Y car think its trash?
id be less conspiracy minded.

with people its always difficult, just like movies, a critic can say X movie is the best piece of cinema youve even seen.
you go and see it, and its garbage, same point here.

if enough "bribes" are paid, and enough greasing of palms happens, 22 judges can say the datsun go is COTY

asshat99

so again, my conspiracy theory, spend thousands flying the judges to Germany to show them the factory,
and lots of goodie bags, and lots of booze, all to pick your car, that each "unit" costs millions.

spend thousands to make millions
Any evidence of this? You speak of 'truth' but you are just making things up. Still waiting for some evidence. Just rambling because 'your' brand didn't win. Have you ever experienced the stand out winners? Do you think they are less special than a fiesta?

The cars are supplied to the competition. You don't have to pick anything. The judges don't get free cars. Did cheapie car makers not sell enough units to be able to bribe them? Logic flies out the window when 'your' brand doesn't win. I can promise you, porsche buyers don't care at all about SA COTY when making their decision.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Any evidence of this? Still waiting. Just rambling because 'your' brand didn;t win. Have you ever experienced the stand out winners? Do you think they are less special than a fiesta?

The cars are supplied to the competition. You don't have to pick anything. The judges don't get free cars. Did cheapie car makers not sell enough units to be able to bribe them? Logic flies out the window when 'your' brand doesn't win. I can promise you, porsche buyers don't care at all about SA COTY when making their decision.
fair point, somebody spending 1 bar on a Porsche SUV doesn't care about COTY,
its the marketing and fame that it brings overseas, that the real money maker.

and yes, if its done subtly, nobody would figure it out,
problem comes when you see expensive cars win 3 years in a row, that it seems a bit suspicious.

and yes, it needs a rework, just like wine of the year and boeraworse of the year, or even biltong on the year.

proof? just conjecture at this point, but reality is probably closer to this than one believes.

asshat99

You're... completely disregarding the reaction of the enthusiast press. Well done getting a reaction out of me the first time, mr. obvious troll. Welcome to the ignore list. I'm sure your 12 year old Fortnite buddies will be proud.
It barely did better than the most basic and boring car in its class. Any review will highlight that it would be close to the polo and would come down to individual preference. Many publications picked the polo above it. It is not standout. Even compared to the polo.

''Waaah you are a troll because i think my brand should win COTY". Really? A fiesta? Another b-segment hatchie. Probably not even better than the mediocre polo - and you think it should win?

"The press was enthusiastic". Big deal. They are enthusiastic about just about anything these days. That does not mean it is 'stand out'. Wow, people lose all rationality when 'their' brands not worshipped. "Waaah let me ignore this guy who doesn't think the fiesta is anything special compared to its peers. He hurt my feelz. I can't argue the point so let me explain how I am going to ignore him". lol

FiestaST

Honorary Master
2019 SA Car of the Year - jury members revealed, new categories, public vote and more

The South African Guild of Motoring Journalists (SAGMJ) today announced the jury and trainee Jury members for the 2019 AutoTrader South African Car Of The Year.

The finalist announcement is scheduled for November (final date to be determined), and on March 11-12 2019 the jury will put the finalists through stringent testing.

Wheels24's Janine Van der Post will be an official judge of the competition.

The SA Guild of Motoring Journalists is the custodian of the South African Car Of The Year competition since 1986, a long-standing heritage of awarding automotive excellent.

Innovation planned for the 2019 competition includes the introduction of individual categories alongside one overall winner; a re-engineered qualifying period to ensure the bulk of the new releases in September are included; and the all important inclusion of the consumer vote.

The South African Car of the Year award has always been a pivotal moment in the motoring year, a decree that shapes both motoring interest and sales for the year to come.

The eligibility period for vehicle ranges that may be considered for the 2019 AutoTrader South African Car Of The Year competition closes at midnight on October 31 2018. Shortly Full members of the SAGMJ will have the opportunity to cast their vote to determine which of these vehicle ranges will be the competition’s semi-finalists, after which the Jury will cast their vote on the semi-finalists in order to determine the finalists for the 2019 AutoTrader South African Car Of The Year competition.

The criteria for Jury eligibility includes:
• All candidates must be members in good standing with the SAGMJ
• A Full Member must have completed a minimum of one year of Jury training. Full members who do not comply with this requirement will be considered for the jury training programme
• A Jury member must be active members of the SAGMJ for a minimum of five years
• A Jury member must be an industry-recognised journalist who has participated in the industry by attending manufacturer launch events, and/or by driving test vehicles during the eligibility period
• Not more than two individual Full Members from the same publication may serve on the Jury
Following a vote by the Full membership of the SAGMJ, the following members of the Guild have been nominated and vetted as the Jury and Trainees for the 2019 competition, and have confirmed their participation:

2019 South African Car Of The Year Jurors (in alphabetical order)

1. Carl Wepener
2. Charleen Clarke
3. Colin Windell
4. Derek Watts
5. Dirk Gallowitz
6. Egmont Sippel
7. Ferdi de Vos
8. Francisco Nwamba
9. Gerrie Smit
10. Hannes Visser
11. Janine-Lee Van der Post
12. Jason Woosey
13. Jeanette Kok-Kritzinger
14. Justus Visagie
15. Lerato Matebese
16. Mabuyane Kekana
17. Marnus Hattingh
18. Pritesh Ruthun
19. Ray Leathern
20. Reuben van Niekerk
21. Roger McCleery
22. Rubin van Niekerk
23. Sean Nurse
24. Stuart Johnston
25. Wynter Murdoch

Reserve Juror
1. Liana Reiners

2019 South African Car Of The Year Trainee Jurors (in alphabetical order)

1. Lawrence Smith
2. Melinda Ferguson
3. Sergio Davids
4. Sisanda Mbete
5. Vuyo Mpofu

The criteria for Trainee Jury eligibility includes:

• All candidates must be members in good standing with the SAGMJ
• Trainee Jury members must be active members of the SAGMJ for a minimum of three years
• A Trainee Jury member must be an industry-recognised journalist who has participated in the industry by attending manufacturer launch events, and/or by driving test vehicles during the eligibility period

https://www.wheels24.co.za/News/201...icle-categories-public-vote-and-more-20181015

Brieuse

You overestimate COTY. Do you think someone buys a porsche or a XC-90 because it won the coveted SA COTY? Do you have any kind of evidence? Or are you just upset that 'your' brand didn't win? Which car stood out compared to its peers more than the winners? Are you objective? Or just upset?
I bought some cooper s that had engine of the year ,that engine was a huge disaster in my opinion .

Brieuse

I think we can perve over technology in a car, and admire the soft touch feel of a dashboard. This day and age though I feel a car of the year is the one that delivers in more than one field . Technology, performance, reliability and cost effectiveness. A good resale helps too

Splinter

Honorary Master
I think the car of the year should be something that supercedes expectations, and is just awesome in whatever class it is in. Porsche, being an elitist vehicle with billions of dollars of investment and tech behind it, just did what it was supposed to do - be an awesome vehicle in its rather niche market,.

bheinche

Expert Member
I bought some cooper s that had engine of the year ,that engine was a huge disaster in my opinion .
IMO most so called engines of the year prize winners have all been disasters, like the 1.4TSI twincharged VW engine that also won it that was plagued by reliability issues.

asshat99

I think the car of the year should be something that supercedes expectations, and is just awesome in whatever class it is in. Porsche, being an elitist vehicle with billions of dollars of investment and tech behind it, just did what it was supposed to do - be an awesome vehicle in its rather niche market,.
No, the porsches were even better than that. Do you think a fiesta does not need to be awesome in an even more competitive segment? That they don't have lots of R&D behind it? Dream on. In a competitive market, every segment is difficult to stand out from the crowd. Do fiesta buyers not compare to polos? Do they not have standards and expectations?

Freddl

Motoring journalists are not unbiased when it comes to cars and the COTY is a worthless exercise offered mainly as a reward to the car industry for their support in the form of advertising and helping to fill motoring pages.

I remember at one stage I did not write a word about Nissan for three years because they did not invite me to a launch in Mauritius. Toyota, on the other hand, I loved because they would pay me more than a months salary to attend a Toyota sponsored rally.

If you want honest advice on a car then read the Car magazine. They do not always get it right but in most of the cases if a car is under the top 10 in their different categories, you are assured of a good buy.

bheinche

Expert Member
Motoring journalists are not unbiased when it comes to cars and the COTY is a worthless exercise offered mainly as a reward to the car industry for their support in the form of advertising and helping to fill motoring pages.

I remember at one stage I did not write a word about Nissan for three years because they did not invite me to a launch in Mauritius. Toyota, on the other hand, I loved because they would pay me more than a months salary to attend a Toyota sponsored rally.

If you want honest advice on a car then read the Car magazine. They do not always get it right but in most of the cases if a car is under the top 10 in their different categories, you are assured of a good buy.
Car Mag..........nuffsaid:laugh:

stroller

Do me a favour!
The feckinging idiots at Car Mag report that a Swift 1.2GL has a Cambelt. (Ref September 2018 edition)
So many times have I sent technical corrections to them on other technical errors and my corrections have been ignored.
Car Mag looks after the OEMS who advertise.
You feed the OEMS who spend on exposure (and overseas trips) and you stay in business because advertising sells.