• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

New era for SA Car of the Year (SA COTY)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Hopefully this means more fair & actually relevant results/

Categories and other changes for SA Car of the Year

The South African Car of the Year competition, which has been run since 1986 by the SA Guild of Motoring Journalists, is set for a shake-up for 2019.

After parting ways with long-time backer WesBank and welcoming AutoTrader as its new headline sponsor, the guild is promising changes that will “suit the entire industry”, in the words of Guild President Roger McCleery.

Although full details of the changes have yet to be officially announced, it has been reported that individual category awards will now be included alongside the traditional overall winner. Furthermore, a consumer vote will now be included for the first time, although the competition will still be judged by a minimum of 22 jury members from the motoring press.

“The South African Car Of the Year competition remains about excellence and our jury has always reflected that sentiment; it takes a minimum of 5 years for any journalist to be eligible for jury duty” said SAGMJ Chairman Rubin Van Niekerk.

The inclusion of categories should help to alleviate some of the controversy that has surrounded the competition in recent years, where Porsche vehicles have been particularly successful - including 2018 when the Panamera took top honours.

Organisers maintain that the competition is primarily about rewarding excellence, however the categories should broaden its appeal among the general buying public.

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indu...other-changes-for-sa-car-of-the-year-17110362

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New era for SA Car of the Year: vehicle categories, public vote, a new sponsor and more!

This year the iconic SA Car of the Year (SACOTY) competition receives a digital-media injection with the announcement of major changes to the voting and judging criteria, as well as the signing of a new sponsor - AutoTrader.

Innovation planned for the 2019 competition includes the introduction of individual categories alongside one overall winner; a re-engineered qualifying period to ensure the bulk of the new releases in September are included; and the all important inclusion of the consumer vote.

The South African Car of the Year award has always been a pivotal moment in the motoring year, a decree that shapes both motoring interest and sales for the year to come.

Roger McCleery, President of the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists, said: "The new partnership with AutoTrader starts an era of a new look for the South African Car of the Year Competition. After much discussion with our stakeholders, the 2019 event will certainly suit the entire motor industry."

A new opportunity

"Partnering with the South African Car of the Year competition is an opportunity for us to add value to the motoring industry, in a variety of new ways. It is the most reputable, prestigious and longest running motoring award in the country. We’re excited to tackle this new opportunity," said AutoTrader CEO George Mienie.

The Porsche Panamera has won the coveted title in 2018; among the top three finalists, the Volvo S90 grabbed second place while the Alfa Romeo Giulia was third.

First run in 1986, the SACOTY was founded by the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists (SAGMJ), itself approaching 57 years in existence. AutoTrader’s added 26 years of experience give the competition over a century of combined motoring know-how, along with a shared desire for innovation.

With a judging process based on both rigorous judge selection - the competition uses a minimum of 22 judges chosen by voting, peer, and industry-wide selection, across the SAGMJ’s 300 plus membership; and relentless judging criteria - cars are personally scored on between 10 and 12 factors, test driven on track and road, and verified by each judge within a set time period - the SACOTY is respected across the globe.

"The South African Car Of the Year competition remains about excellence and our jury has always reflected that sentiment; it takes a minimum of 5 years for any journalist to be eligible for jury duty." said Rubin Van Niekerk, Chairman of the South African Guild of Motoring Journalists.

Wheels24's Janine Van der Post, who has been a SA Coty judge, says: "The new format is exciting and especially because the jury, industry players, and the public's concerns have been taken into account and suggestions are now a reality. With public participation also now part of the programme, things can only get better for the competition."

SAGMJ chairman Rubin Van Niekerk says: "A number of meetings and workshops were held with many different stakeholders on the innovative changes that are required in the format of the competition to amplify the prestige, excellence and cutting-edge technology represented by COTY.

"The South African Car Of The Year Competition enjoys international recognition and there is no doubt that COTY remains the most advanced competition in South Africa, and in most of the World. It has set the benchmark in the automotive industry for more than 3 decades.

"Through the Guild’s well thought out strategic planning, this competition remains the ultimate measureof excellence and is not simply a “popularity contest”.

South African Car of the Year: Previous winners

2018 Porsche Panamera
2017 Opel Astra
2016 Volvo XC90
2015 Porsche Macan S Diesel
2014 Porsche Cayman S
2013 Porsche Boxster
2012 Hyundai Elantra 1.8 GLS
2011 VW Polo 1.6 TDI and BMW 530d
2010 VW Golf 6 1.4 TSI Comfortline
2009 Honda Accord 2.4i Executive
2008 Mazda 2 Individual
2007 Honda Civic 1.8 VXi
2006 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T FSI
2005 Volvo S40
2004 Renault Mégane 1.9 dCi
2003 VW Polo 1.4 TDI
2002 Audi A4 1.9 TDI
2001 BMW 320d
2000 Renault Clio 1.4 RT
1999 Alfa Romeo 156 T-Spark
1998 Ford Fiesta Fun
1997 BMW 528i
1996 Audi A4 1.8
1995 Opel Astra 160iS
1994 Opel Kadett 140
1993 BMW 316i
1992 Nissan Maxima 300 SE
1991 Opel Monza 160 GSi
1990 BMW 525i
1989 Toyota Corolla GLi Executive
1988 BMW 735
1987 Mercedes-Benz 260
1986 Toyota Corolla Twin Cam

Most wins by manufacturer

6 BMW 1988, 1990, 1993, 1997, 2001, 2011
4 Opel 1991, 1994, 1995, 2017
3 Audi 1996, 2002, 2006
3 Volkswagen 2003, 2010, 2011
4 Porsche 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018
2 Honda 2007, 2009
2 Renault 2000, 2004
2 Toyota 1986, 1989
2 Volvo 2005, 2016
1 Alfa Romeo 1999
1 Ford 1998
1 Hyundai 2012
1 Mazda 2008
1 Mercedes-Benz 1987
1 Nissan 1992

https://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Gui...s-public-vote-a-new-sponsor-and-more-20180917

FiestaST

Honorary Master
If you have proof that it wasn't, please post it here.
I don't have proof but the wide public opinion of Porsha winning 4 times in recent years is enough. By that logic the most expensive vehicle should always win as it's the best.

kripstoe

Expert Member
I don't have proof but the wide public opinion of Porsche winning 4 times in recent years is enough. By that logic the most expensive vehicle should always win as it's the best.
ftfy

Because wide public opinion is obviously always correct?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
ftfy

Because wide public opinion is obviously always correct?
No, it does still count for something.

You are not really tackling my point though. Based on the current view of the SA COTY the most expensive vehicle is the best vehicle.

What happen to their argument that each vehicle is compared independently with one another & compared relatively to its actual peers rather?

The results of the winners till 2013 prove my point.

kripstoe

Expert Member
No, it does still count for something.

You are not really tackling my point though. Based on the current view of the SA COTY the most expensive vehicle is the best vehicle.

What happen to their argument that each vehicle is compared independently with one another & compared relatively to its actual peers rather?

The results of the winners till 2013 prove my point.
Ok. Let's tackle your point.

But before that, make sure you've read https://www.aa.co.za/insights/how-the-sa-car-of-the-year-competition-is-judged

Where do you see that COTY states that the most expensive is the best? Do you have a link or a quote? Do you not see the 2017 winner on the list?

Look at how many winners from BMW and Audi has been in the past? Have they always been the cheapest? Most expensive? Was the competition not fair from 1986?

Porsche has made huge improvements in their cars over the last couple of years. You cannot really deny that.

Yes, public "opinion" does count for something. Nobody said it does not. If you have a model that was introduced in month 1 of the window (let's say a Ford), and a vehicle introduced in month 11 of the window (let's say a Porsche). If you have 5000 people buying the Ford, and 12 people buying the Porsche. All 5000 people vote for the Ford, and all 12 vote for the Porsche. How will the weightings work? Depending on the price / target market, how will people vote for their own vehicles? Who will expect the most from their purchase, and who will be ok with a fault or two. Yes, you can statistically factor all of these things in.

But just stating "hopefully this means more fair & actually relevant results" is nonsense.

It's not SA Prettiest Car of the Year. Or Best Cheap Car of the Year. Or Most Fuel Efficient Car of the Year Award. It's just Car of the Year. This is even noted in the comments from the winner of the 2013 article which you chose to highlight.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Ok. Let's tackle your point.

But before that, make sure you've read https://www.aa.co.za/insights/how-the-sa-car-of-the-year-competition-is-judged

Where do you see that COTY states that the most expensive is the best? Do you have a link or a quote? Do you not see the 2017 winner on the list?

Look at how many winners from BMW and Audi has been in the past? Have they always been the cheapest? Most expensive? Was the competition not fair from 1986?

Porsche has made huge improvements in their cars over the last couple of years. You cannot really deny that.

Yes, public "opinion" does count for something. Nobody said it does not. If you have a model that was introduced in month 1 of the window (let's say a Ford), and a vehicle introduced in month 11 of the window (let's say a Porsche). If you have 5000 people buying the Ford, and 12 people buying the Porsche. All 5000 people vote for the Ford, and all 12 vote for the Porsche. How will the weightings work? Depending on the price / target market, how will people vote for their own vehicles? Who will expect the most from their purchase, and who will be ok with a fault or two. Yes, you can statistically factor all of these things in.

But just stating "hopefully this means more fair & actually relevant results" is nonsense.

It's not SA Prettiest Car of the Year. Or Best Cheap Car of the Year. Or Most Fuel Efficient Car of the Year Award. It's just Car of the Year. This is even noted in the comments from the winner of the 2013 article which you chose to highlight.
Thanks for that & for actually providing insight as opposed to shooting from the hip.

I read the link & it goes into great detail about the judging process.

Yes, there has been a few BMW's & Audi's but except for 1988 with the 7-Series it was the 3-Series & 5-Series.

Certain years expensive vehicles won like the 735i; 525i; 528i etc but at the same token certain years more affordable options won like the Corollas; Kadett; Fiesta; Clio & others won. More so on the affordable side & the premium side until 2013.

I still believe the past few years the chosen winners were not a fair representation of the "Car of the Year". Lets see what 2018 brings.

asshat99

aaah, the everyone-gets-a-prize-for-mediocrity mentality. Sad. The porsches got rave review after rave review for excellence compared to its peers. Which cheapie CUV/hatchie did the same? Moaning about the porsches being unattainable is moot as even the cheapest new car is unattainable for most South Africans.

Leitmotif

Expert Member
The porsches got rave review after rave review for excellence compared to its peers. Which cheapie CUV/hatchie did the same?
The Ford Fiesta ST did, you blithering ninny. You only had to look at his handle, or see any motoring enthusiast show/site in the past few years. The Fiat 500 has also been very popular with the motoring press and public in recent years, and consistently gets good reviews. You're letting your biases hang out.

eg2505

Honorary Master
its a giant marketing coup for whatever manufacturer wins the COTY,

so obviously anything that can influence the judges decision making process is explored.

I sure a lot of backroom deals go on when the COTY is chosen, so its doubtful if its actually the best car around.

asshat99

The Ford Fiesta ST did, you blithering ninny. You only had to look at his handle, or see any motoring enthusiast show/site in the past few years. The Fiat 500 has also been very popular with the motoring press and public in recent years, and consistently gets good reviews. You're letting your biases hang out.
Naah, it was pretty mediocre compared to the polo even. Certainly did not stand out relative to its peers. Guess you are just sad that cars you can afford don't make the cut. Another snowflake wanting a participation trophy and trying to get personal about it. "Blithering ninny"? Shame. WOW SOMEONE WITH A FIESTA HANDLE! COTY material right there! Fiesta fanboi. Fiat 500 is hot garbage which DEFINITELY did not stand out compared to its peers. Faux retro is so over anyway. Ironically, the Fiat 500 was massively overpriced in SA for what it was. And relative to its peers. And you are upset about the well priced (relative to its peers) boxster and cayman? lol.

Poor snowflakes getting confused between 'most popular student car in a poor country' with 'standout relative to peers'.

Last edited:

asshat99

its a giant marketing coup for whatever manufacturer wins the COTY,

so obviously anything that can influence the judges decision making process is explored.

I sure a lot of backroom deals go on when the COTY is chosen, so its doubtful if its actually the best car around.
When you have to resort to baseless conspiracy theories with no evidence at all. Let me guess, you would believe this regardless of which car won it? Unless it is 'your' brand's car? Another snowflake.

eg2505

Honorary Master
When you have to resort to baseless conspiracy theories with no evidence at all. Let me guess, you would believe this regardless of which car won it? Unless it is 'your' brand's car? Another snowflake.
think about it, huge marketing coup, costs that are immeasurable to your image,
wouldn't you do "everything" even less than legal to make sure your car won?

I mean I sure a few of the judges went on a few junket trips to the factory,
and some got very nice goodie bags, and other "non monetary" rewards.

its simple business, spend thousands to make millions from free advertising.

conspiracy theory yes, but truth, is probably closer to that than people care to admit.

asshat99

think about it, huge marketing coup, costs that are immeasurable to your image,
wouldn't you do "everything" even less than legal to make sure your car won?

I mean I sure a few of the judges went on a few junket trips to the factory,
and some got very nice goodie bags, and other "non monetary" rewards.

its simple business, spend thousands to make millions from free advertising.

conspiracy theory yes, but truth, is probably closer to that than people care to admit.
You overestimate COTY. Do you think someone buys a porsche or a XC-90 because it won the coveted SA COTY? Do you have any kind of evidence? Or are you just upset that 'your' brand didn't win? Which car stood out compared to its peers more than the winners? Are you objective? Or just upset?

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Naah, it was pretty mediocre compared to the polo even.
You're... completely disregarding the reaction of the enthusiast press. Well done getting a reaction out of me the first time, mr. obvious troll. Welcome to the ignore list. I'm sure your 12 year old Fortnite buddies will be proud.

eg2505

Honorary Master
You overestimate COTY. Do you think someone buys a porsche or a XC-90 because it won the coveted SA COTY? Do you have any kind of evidence? Or are you just upset that 'your' brand didn't win? Which car stood out compared to its peers more than the winners? Are you objective? Or just upset?
look until 2012, notice anything?
most of the cars are simple cars that anybody can own, Toyota and Mazda and Hyundai that you see thousands on the roads.

even on the sales charts, those cars sell very well, reflecting the popularity of those cars.

after 2012, the situation changes somewhat,
expensive cars that you cant afford on an average salary, Porsche and Porsche and more Porsche.
(frequently on lowest selling cars in SA)

only decently "affordable car" is maybe the Astra,

my point is, one can see quite easily, the bribes flying around to convince the judges to pick a expensive car,
rather than something that sells well and is popular by many people.

so again, my conspiracy theory, spend thousands flying the judges to Germany to show them the factory,
and lots of goodie bags, and lots of booze, all to pick your car, that each "unit" costs millions.

spend thousands to make millions