New Evidence Supports Modern Greeks Having DNA of Ancient Mycenaeans

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Is that the funky instant transportation stuff in Star Trek: Discovery?

surface

Executive Member
I dont understand this thread. They found Greek dna in Greece?
There was lot of destruction of Mycenaeans architecture that is yet to be understood by archaeologists. There is also evidence that there was massive emigration out of that area to other countries like cyprus etc.

In any case, scientists like to challenge/revise any findings depending on their own area of interest and substantiate it by multiple lines of evidence as much as they can. And with cost of genetic code mapping getting reduced every year, maybe this is one evidence they found?

Of course, alternatively, I have a holy book that contains all this evidence already so I am just waiting for scientists to catch up.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
I dont understand this thread. They found Greek dna in Greece?

The origin of the idea that modern Greeks aren’t really Greek

The racist aspect of this debate isn’t too especially surprising, considering that racism has been present in the debate ever since it first began nearly two hundred years ago. The idea that modern Greeks aren’t descended from the ancient Greeks was vigorously promulgated in the nineteenth century by the notoriously racist German writer Jakob Philipp Fallmerayer (lived 1790 – 1861).

Fallmerayer claimed that modern Greeks have absolutely no relation to the ancient Greeks and are not really Greeks at all, but rather barbarous mischlings born of miscegenation between various Arvanitic, Vlachic, Slavic and Turkish peoples. Fallmerayer wrote in volume one of his book Geschichte der Halbinsel Morea während des Mittelalters, originally published in 1830:

“Das Geschlecht der Hellenen ist in Europa ausgerottet. Schönheit der Körper, Sonnenflug des Geistes, Ebenmaß und Einfalt der Sitte, Kunst, Rennbahn, Stadt, Dorf, Säulenpracht und Tempel, ja sogar der Name ist von der Oberfläche des griechischen Kontinents verschwunden.... auch nicht ein Tropfen echten und ungemischten Hellenenblutes in den Adern der christlichen Bevölkerung des heutigen Griechenlands fließet.”
Here is my own literal English translation of this passage:

“The race of Hellenes has been totally exterminated in Europe. [Their] beauty of the body, brilliance of the spirit, harmony and simplicity of custom, art, competition, city, village, majestic columns and temples, yes even their name is vanished from the face of the Greek continent… Not even a drop of true and unmixed Hellenic blood flows through the veins of the Christian population of present-day Greece.”
Fallmerayer’s hypothesis that modern Greeks are not descendants of the ancient Greeks was later used by the Nazis during the Axis occupation of Greece during World War II to justify atrocities against Greek people while simultaneously praising the ancient Greeks for their achievements.

Fallmerayer is also known for his promotion of the idea that there are two entirely distinct civilizations: a glorious, ever-changing, and forward-looking western civilization best exemplified by the classical Roman Empire and a backwards, superstitious, unchanging, and barbarous eastern civilization best exemplified by the Byzantine Empire. This false idea of there being two distinct civilizations is, unfortunately, still prevalent today.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Wow, modern Greeks are closely related to ancient Greeks. Who would of thunk it ?

I've seen a video which said that modern day Sardinians are probably the closest genetically to the ancient Minoans
You'd think the Sardines would be more closely related to the Atlanteans.