New fibre products from Openserve

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
New fibre products from Openserve

Telkom has announced an agreement with the Competition Commission to change the way it offers copper and fibre wholesale broadband products.

“Telkom is pleased that following concerns identified during the data services market inquiry, we were able to reach this settlement with the Commission,” said Telkom CEO Sipho Maseko.

This is good news, cant wait to see the new offerings by ISP's

This new product removes concerns over the current IP Connect product and will be offered by Telkom’s wholesale division, Openserve, to introduce transparency and remove perceived competition problems associated with wholesale broadband connectivity.

I am sceptical.
Would really like the ISPs take on this.

@PBCool @AfriFella @AfriNatic

What does this even mean:

"During discussions with the Commission, Telkom agreed that the new wholesale product from Openserve would reduce wholesale charges to ISPs.

This will remove the pricing concerns raised by the Competition Commission in respect of IP Connect, Telkom said.

“The new Openserve offering, which is structured as an aggregated end-to-end solution, will allow ISPs to manage their costs and compare the Openserve fixed-broadband prices with the prices of other wholesale broadband providers more easily, thus enhancing competition in the fixed-broadband connectivity market,” Telkom said."

It means OpenServe raw line fees increase to match other Fibre Providers.
It means IPConnect is being scrapped with a new model coming into place.

That's all I can divulge now until official contracts arrive.

Does this mean that DSL accounts will no longer work with OpenServe fibre (as IPConnect is being scrapped)?

Meanwhile Vumatel and Frogfoot are doubling fibre speeds for free would like to see this on my Openserve fibre

Aren't Openserve already one of the most expensive FNOs?

Does this mean that DSL accounts will no longer work with OpenServe fibre (as IPConnect is being scrapped)?

I wonder as well - still on ADSL, as there are no other options, other than LTE - which is still on the rather expensive side, for my, and family's usage

Do existing FNOs work the same way as the proposed new way for OS? Higher wholesale line rental fees but access to the network itself is a lot lower?

Do existing FNOs work the same way as the proposed new way for OS? Higher wholesale line rental fees but access to the network itself is a lot lower?

The pie, stays the same, you just slice and dice it differently.

The pie, stays the same, you just slice and dice it differently.
Seems so, but charging more per line rental which gets passed directly onto the customer is better than charging for bandwidth usage and a low line rental - justifying usage based charges to uncapped end users doesnt go down well.

Back