New food delivery app taking on Uber Eats and Mr D Food with local edge

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
New food delivery app taking on Uber Eats and Mr D Food with local edge

The recently launched MyChef app aims to shake up the online food delivery industry in South Africa with a clear focus on supporting smaller local restaurants.

MyChef – which was developed by TSN-Mzimba and founded by Donald Chauke and Itumeleng Mzimba – aims to make online-based food delivery more sustainable for local restaurants.

The company told MyBroadband it wanted to become the largest online marketplace for food from local and independently-owned restaurants in South Africa.

Radioboy

Minimum R20 delivery fee & R9.50 service fee .... ?

That's very expensive compared to uber eats.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Hmmmm, so they charge a delivery fee, plus a service fee and a markup for the restuarant?

Instantly makes them much more expensive than Mr D unfortunately... and focusing on the small local places is a great idea, but by not having the big brand places would be a negative in my opinion. I would want an app that has all of them so I can choose in one service.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
"Customers are charged a R20 delivery fee for addresses which are within 5km of the restaurant, with an additional R3.50 per km for those further away. A service fee of R9.50 also applies."

Was expecting Efrica, found Efrica

RandomGeek

Expert Member
DRIVERS. This is the make or break aspect when it comes to any of these services...you can have the best App, but it only takes one cr@ppy driver to make your customers vow to never use your service again

duckgray

this will fail. R20 delivery from a place that is less than 1km away from me? not a chance in hell. ubereats will charge less than R5 for the same distance

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
DRIVERS. This is the make or break aspect when it comes to any of these services...you can have the best App, but it only takes one cr@ppy driver to make your customers vow to never use your service again
Explain?

Radioboy

koeks525

Expert Member
The R20 delivery fee is a bit much... Uber and Bolt don't charge that much, unless you are buying alcohol, and even that amounts to R15.00.

The business model doesn't seem much different to what Uber and Bolt use... could there have been alternate pricing models, like charging restaurants flat monthly fees to use their platform, and charge for things like withdrawals, balance enquiries, reporting, etc? Maybe that might not work out nicely as payment providers charge by the transaction (around 2 to 3% of transaction value).

RonSwanson

Executive Member
You never had a Mr D driver who ran out of petrol while delivering your order? Or the Uber Eats driver who doesnt have a valid drivers license so security didnt let him into the estate?
Or a pizza that was tossed like a salad? Or 2 out of 5 bottles of wine broken?