• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

New Ford Figo out in SA

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Ford Figo 1.5 Trend auto (2018) Quick Review

Facts & Figures

Price: R205 700

Engine: 1.5-litre naturally-aspirated 3-cylinder petrol

Transmission: 6-speed automatic

Power: 88 kW

Torque: 150 Nm

Fuel Consumption: 6.5 L/100 km

0 -100 kph: 11 sec (estimated)

Top speed: 175 kph

Pricing and warranty (as of August 2018)

This particular Ford Figo is the flagship derivative in the range and it retails for R205 700. The range kicks off from R181 300, and the Figo is available in both a sedan and hatchback guises. All derivatives come standard with Ford Protect, comprising a 4-year/120 000 km comprehensive warranty, 3-year/unlimited distance roadside assistance and 5-year/unlimited km corrosion warranty. The service interval is 15 000 km.

Ford Figo 1.5 Trend auto R205 700

Verdict

With sales of the latest Volkswagen Polo Vivo going briskly, and other rivals (such as the Suzuki Swift) entering the budget car space, the Figo needed to up its game. The highlight of the Ford's revitalisation has to be its excellent engine and gearbox combination. It delivers a comfortable and commendably fuss-free driving experience.

The front of the Figo's cabin is spacious, but the Blue Oval's budget hatchback offers rather mediocre rear legroom (adults will find the rear bench cramped, especially on longer journeys). Furthermore, the Figo's luggage bay is smaller than those of its rivals, but you can, of course, fold the rear seats down in a 60:40 split to increase carrying capacity. In the interest of keeping costs down, Ford has removed 2 airbags, but there's still a driver and a passenger airbag as well as plus ABS with EBD.

When it comes to the Ford's overall value proposition, things get tricky. In a market in which brands are desperate to keep cars under that critical R200k barrier, this Figo derivative creeps over that psychological threshold, making it one of the more expensive vehicles in the segment. The competition is fierce and while there's no catching the Volkswagen Polo Vivo in terms of sales, the fight for 2nd place is intense. Can the Ford Figo justify its pricetag? Yes, but only just. Perhaps consider whether you really need an automatic transmission (as convenient as it is for city driving), because there's more value to be found if you opt for the manual – it costs R15 000 less.

https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/ford-figo-15-trend-auto-2018-quick-review/45424/

F759CDC6-A75C-4629-8797-1195B0F6CB7B.jpeg C17F1F4B-9DB2-4036-B0AE-D43FB8C0DA23.jpeg 832B6B4B-CD58-45CF-97BB-48E09F22742C.jpeg 316ABCCF-FD8A-4F23-BEFB-265D7DD70564.jpeg 3A19707E-7D5F-4A99-A1AC-238872CD50B4.jpeg

chefdude98

I never thought I would become a fanboy of any manufacturer But I seem to be really into Suzuki now. They just need to up their game with android auto & apple car play.

I am saving every penny and want to get the next Jimny.

chefdude98

I haven't seen many of these on the road. 1 in my complex and Pathcare seem to use them as company vehicles. Haven't seen them anywhere else.

terencej

Expert Member
Driving a Figo this week while the Thar is at the panel beater after ADT came a little bit too close.

Anyway, very nice little car. But for the price I find there is too many hard plastics inside. Good power though.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Review: 'A surprising package' - Why the new Ford Figo is great for families in SA

With the Ranger Raptor and Focus - all of which are coming to SA next year - Ford will continue its new model assault on the local market. The two new models will be addition to the new Figo, Fiesta and EcoSport launched earlier in 2018.

According to Naamsa figures, the Figo is a popular car at times selling more than the Fiesta.

Mixing it up

Ever since the first generation hatch was launched in 2010, I've become used to seeing them on the road but seeing it in sedan guise takes some getting used to.

I had a ball of a time with the 82kW naturally-aspirated 1.5-litre TiVCT engine and on more than one occasion I forgot it was naturally aspirated. I put this down to its immediate and swift throttle response when asked to perform driving duties. I could overtake with ease with its 150Nm on tap.

What really sold me was taking on a long stretch of road; It stuck like glue along the beach roads of Bloubergstrand and handled the odd bump and undulations like a pro.

Fuel consumption is largely dependent on your driving style and can increase sharply if you're heavy on the throttle.

I particularly like the Aston Martin-esque grille it offers something different to the entirety of the car and overall it borrows much of its design elements from its Fiesta sibling.

Another nifty feature was the gear selection indicator on the dash; when revs exceed 3000rpm an 'Up' arrow pops up letting you know its time to switch cogs. If the car is labouring in a gear while you're taking a turn or pulling away, the 'Down' arrow lets you know its time to switch to a lower gear.

Controls are intuitive and a great addition to the cabin is the incredibly useful compartment perched on the dashboard where you can store a cellphone, wallet or sunglasses.

The extra space at the rear really is a boon for passengers and overall there's plenty of space for three adults with ample leg and elbow room.

The boot provides more than enough space for grocery-run or weekend getaway with the family - you have the option, space and convenience to do both.

I drove the previous generation Figo and while it did the job of the daily commute, its long-bodied successor creates and ticks more boxes.

For its price (from R177 600), it is worth paying but there is always the smaller version if you don't need the extra space.

Team opinion

Wheels24's Janine Van der Post says: Affordable cars are all the rage and when you're providing a product to a family or buyer who might be purchasing their very first vehicle, affordability and reliability is everything. So enter Ford's smallest offering, the Figo.

Built on a sturdy reputation and boasting the blue oval, the Figo already has built its credibility as a great affordable alternative. On test we had the 1.5-litre TiVCT sedan model in our garage. Power figures are 82kW at 6300rpm and 150Nm at 4250rpm.

Having driven numerous entry-level vehicles during the past few months, the Figo is definitely one for the chart topper's list. The Ambiente version offers simplistic motoring but has enough standard features worthy of its competitive price tag starting from R177 600.

It has aircon, manual windows and a CD/MP3 player. What I liked though was that even though this is a basic derivative, the doors locked automatically once you start the vehicle, a huge safety boost in SA. It also has oodles of storage compartments.

Ford says the Figo has a claimed combined fuel consumption of 5.9-litres/100km, while the urban cycle is rated at 8.3-litres/100km. The latter is the more realistic figure as I struggled to come close to the combined figure.

Ride quality is pleasant and it's a car for the family. It's even suitable for weekends away as the boot is rather large considering the size of the vehicle. While the hatchback version looks sportier, I would much rather prefer the sedan mainly due to the extra luggage space which I generally need on a daily basis when dropping off and collecting a toddler (and the more than necessary kit and gear my child requires).

It's a great little all-rounder and it's the sort of car I would purchase for my mom as a daily drive or my daughter if she was all grown up and headed off to university. Definitely worth considering as an option for first-time car buyers.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModel...ord-figo-is-great-for-families-in-sa-20180908

Figo.png

Moneywaster

This car was tested in the latest issue of CAR magazine. I am so impressed with its power for a mere 1.5l 3-cylinder motor. Easily out accelerating its rivals in the comparison test. It seems to have very good acceleration for a 1.5.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
This car was tested in the latest issue of CAR magazine. I am so impressed with its power for a mere 1.5l 3-cylinder motor. Easily out accelerating its rivals in the comparison test. It seems to have very good acceleration for a 1.5.
You were so impressed you made the comment twice lol

I bought the trend auto in aug 2018...very happy and it has nice power:)..rear legroom is a bit cramped...petrol consumption is quite good as well on open road...

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Review: A week with the updated Ford Figo 1.5 Trend

Sean Parker gives his impression on the recently-updated Ford Figo 1.5 Trend, how does it perform in the stressful Cape Town traffic, South Africa's most congested city.

Built at the automaker's factory in India, this is the second-generation and it recently received a mid-life facelift in the middle of 2018.

We spent seven days with the 1.5-litre Trend and here's what we thought:

Day one:

The Deep Impact Blue Figo Trend (I know that by looking at the key ring) arrived at our offices on a wet Thursday afternoon and the first thing that struck me was how big of a departure it is from the previous generation.

Unlike the previous generation which looked very similar to the Fiesta on which it was based on, the Figo stamps its own mark with a round shape and gaping trapezoidal grille on the updated model. The Trend model features front and rear foglights, 14" wheels do duty on this particular model.

Admittedly, it's more a nondescript design and not the type of car you'll message the neighbourhood WhatsApp group about and show it off too.

It has cutesy charm that shouts student car and lacks the visual sophistication of its bigger and more expensive Fiesta brother.

Day two:

I did some poking around on what other models are in the Figo range: there are two trim levels available (Ambiente and Trend) and only one engine, a 1.5-litre petrol sans forced induction that can be mated to either a five-speed manual or six-speed automatic.

The second generation Figo uses a torque converter gearbox, whereas the previous model didn't have an automatic option.

After two days driving the little Ford to work from home I've had some time to reflect. Our test unit is fitted with the automatic 'box and retails for R205 700 out of the box.

Day three:

This Trend model is pretty well-equipped, you can adjust the level of the headlights, a myriad of storage binnacles, including one on top of the dash that houses a USB port. From a safety point of view, it's nifty to be able to keep items out of sight.

I really enjoyed the way the six-speed gearbox goes about its business, and the engine's claimed 88kW and 150Nm is peppy enough to scoot around town and beat taxis in the rush hour commute.

Day four: It was time to test the space of the little Figo which is also sold as the Ford Ka in other regions. Wheels24 readers might remember it, in fact you'll still see a few a on our roads albeit in its older shape.

Getting back to practicality, the Figo's boot size is quoted at 257 litres and that was (just) enough for me to chuck a few two black bags filled with goods to recycle. The backseats can be folded in a 60:40 split configuration.

I didn't try out the backseats but I felt there was enough room up front to handle my 1.9m frame, despite me pushing the seat quite back.

Day five: Five days in and it's dawned how enjoyable it is to potter around town in it. It's got a brilliant turning circle (5.1m) and doesn't take up much space in the garage.

It's just been lekker driving a small city car and not having to rely on a rear-view camera when parking.

Day six: As more new cars flood our roads, Cape Town is the country's most congested city, the argument for a car with an automatic gearbox gains traction.

After a week driving the Figo I can attest to my commute feeling less stressful because I wasn't punching the clutch pedal every few hundred metres.

The six-speed auto does a solid job in knowing when to change gears and is a major boon in rush hour traffic.

Day seven: The average fuel consumption over the week's test was around 11-litres/100km, unexpectedly high for a small engine.

All in all, it's been a pleasant week driving the updated Figo. At just over R205 000, the Figo faces up to the ubiquitous Polo Vivo and Hyundai Grand i10.

The Figo has its own charm and certainly has the ingredients that make it a solid little runabout, I was left impressed. But the Vivo sneaks ahead in terms of build quality, sophistication and perhaps being more desirable.

https://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/review-a-week-with-the-updated-ford-figo-15-trend-20180918

Figo 1.JPG Figo 2.JPG Figo 3.JPG

Zenthrax

They should rename all her videos "Juliet (tries to) sings in a new <insert car of the week>, oh and you will see some internal shots of the car too"