New FPB ratings fee opens door to Netflix and Hulu in SA

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
This just sounds like the FPB trying to get extra money into their back pockets....

R750k?!?!!? thats not even vaguely acceptable.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Even if a hurdle is removed, you can bet MonoChoice will have a massively hissy fit about this.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
At least its a step forward.

But why do South Africa have so much red tape, with virtually everything?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Even if a hurdle is removed, you can bet MonoChoice will have a massively hissy fit about this.
I've helped at least 3 people get setup with Netflix and Unotelly, and they've all cancelled their DSTV Premium subscriptions. It's the least I can do.

McT

The Humble Scot!
I've helped at least 3 people get setup with Netflix and Unotelly, and they've all cancelled their DSTV Premium subscriptions. It's the least I can do.
Just curious. I understand that Netflix is streaming and requires a data line, etcetera. Is there a way to be able to programme and record series in a similar manner to a PVR?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Just curious. I understand that Netflix is streaming and requires a data line, etcetera. Is there a way to be able to programme and record series in a similar manner to a PVR?
Netflix is an on-demand service so there is no need to record anything. When you want to watch something you simply select it and watch it. It will still be there if you want to watch it later.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
It's on demand. You choose when to watch. No need to record.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Netflix is an on-demand service so there is no need to record anything. When you want to watch something you simply select it and watch it. It will still be there if you want to watch it later.
It's on demand. You choose when to watch. No need to record.
Thank you muchly :)

I am right in saying in some cases, whole series are available to watch?

grok

Honorary Master
What's the odds that once we officially get Netflix the selection will be small and we're going to pay R600/m subscription?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
What's the odds that once we officially get Netflix the selection will be small and we're going to pay R600/m subscription?
The odds are pretty good! That's why I don't see a service like UnoTelly going away anytime soon even when (if?) we officially get Netflix in this country. Just look at Canada's version of Netflix as an example. Canadians complain endlessly about how poor their version of Netflix is compared to the US's one. Same for the UK. It's no surprise that a lot of UK and Canadian Netflix users use UnoTelly too so they can view the US version of Netflix.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
The odds are pretty good! That's why I don't see a service like UnoTelly going away anytime soon even when (if?) we officially get Netflix in this country. Just look at Canada's version of Netflix as an example. Canadians complain endlessly about how poor their version of Netflix is compared to the US's one. Same for the UK. It's no surprise that a lot of UK and Canadian Netflix users use UnoTelly too so they can view the US version of Netflix.
I guess it might due to the broadcasting deals US networks have with those countries' own networks. No doubt Monochoice would screw us again in this regard.

Last edited:

McT

The Humble Scot!
And the investor bringing it to SA will be a holding company in the US whose sole shareholder is Naspers ;) :rolleyes:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

Yes. Many of the series have full seasons available. Quite slow on the new content, though.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
PRecisely, why? Because that's how SA rolls, protect the rip-off artists.
@deweyzeph.. I am in the process of doing just that. My main issue has been problems with the ADSL.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The interesting thing is how Netflix turns a blind eye to whole thing. They obviously know that people outside the US are using services like UnoTelly to watch the US version of Netflix instead of the watered-down local version of Netflix and could easily put the technology in place to prevent it, but so far they haven't done a thing to prevent it.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Don't forget Hulu is also quite good, except for the ads. I'd say Netflix is great for documentaries and movies, and Hulu is great for TV series, although there is a bit of crossover between the 2 services. Both services also have their own TV series that they've paid for and produced themselves.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

Yes. They are better than Hulu+ when it comes to getting complete series.

Just check my sig to see what Netflix looks like.