New free SD and HD satellite TV service for SA

so why o bloody why are we even bothering with DTT?
Other than to suit narrow interests in the industry

I will go for this. Just "because". Curious to see what they send to my TV for a once off cost.

Targeted at LSM 4-7 means it will be even worse than TopTv.

A new satellite broadcasting service is coming to South Africa, offering 15 channels in a mix of standard and high definition without charging a monthly subscription fee

Hmm. R1899 setup fee bit steep though. Do sound a little attractive.

so why o bloody why are we even bothering with DTT?

My first reaction was also that this is going to compete directly with DTT. Smart move by E-tv if they can crack the market and make this the defacto F2A TV standard.

I will go for this. Just "because". Curious to see what they send to my TV for a once off cost.

Me too. First time I'll have a TV service.

Targeted at LSM 4-7 means it will be even worse than TopTv.

It all comes down to the channels. Really looking forward to finding out what they are.

Post channel listing or gtfo.

My gut feeling tells me investing in C band gear & a motorized antenna is a better deal.

When MyBroadband contacted the OpenView spokesperson for comment they answered our first call, but indicated that we should phone back at a more convenient time.

Since then they have been dodging our calls and ignoring our e-mails.
So not even Mybb can get an interview. God help anyone with a billing dispute...

Post channel listing or gtfo.

My gut feeling tells me investing in C band gear & a motorized antenna is a better deal.

So not even Mybb can get an interview. God help anyone with a billing dispute...

Once off payment (with a card or cash?) so not really a worry me thinks.
But if we need to get hold of them cause of a service issue - different story.

Nice service for low income households. The channels dont need to be anything special and can even be bad, considering its competing against SABC.

Oh my, SABC was complaining the other day about their loses and put it on e-tv and dstv. I do wonder what they will say about this, specially with people in this income bracket. But it will depend on the channels, thats for sure

So whats their revenue model if its free, what am I missing or is it a case of advertising being interrupted occasionally by TV. Are they going to just cash in on a ton of installation fees then shutdown.

So whats their revenue model if its free, what am I missing or is it a case of advertising being interrupted occasionally by TV. Are they going to just cash in on a ton of installation fees then shutdown.

Hope the latter is not the case.

Very interesting..

I will potentially get this purely to see what its about really... also if its using the same satellite as TopTV, then its even better, can run 3 diff sat services and only have 2 dishes on my house.

DStv EasyView also has 15 video channels and it costs R29/mth.

It would take 5 1/2 yrs for you to pay off the R1,899 once off at R29/mth, yet EasyView also has 20 or more audio channels as well.

The set up fee is way too much. It doesn't make sense. Unless if the LSM 4-7 population is made up of HD channel fiends.

More deets on this one but looks interesting, a once off payment & then unlimited viewing without seeing payment notification messages on my screen every end of the month definitely sounds catchy & interesting, ;)

Nothing is free....................... Once you have the decoder, a monthly fee will eventually be introduced and up and up it goes!

If DStv is rubbish and costs hundreds of rands, then logic states that the content here is going to suck.

Back