new HDD I bought has windows XP on it?Not so new is it!?!

splinter_watsup

I am completely shocked....

A client of mine wants to get a new Desktop PC so I bought all the stuff from a importer called PC International and put it all together when I got it today,After building the PC I plugged in all the cables screen,mouse and keyboard and pressed the power button on.

I was so happy,another "no Problem"build but then a windows XP loading screen appeared,I thought"ok thats wierd,I have not even put a CD in yet"

Turns out the "New" 320GB hard drive is actually not so new?!?! Windows booted up right till you have to type in the Login Password which I couldn't do because windows XP had expired.

I just cant believe it,this HDD has to be second hand to have a OS installed?Am I right or are Samsung being really nice and giving their clients a free expired version of windows XP?

killadoob

Honorary Master
More than likely a hdd that came out of a pre build machine and had an xp image loaded but ya not new by the sounds of it. Old stock but format it and if it is working then all is good i suppose.

GTAMCN

More than likely a hdd that came out of a pre build machine and had an xp image loaded but ya not new by the sounds of it. Old stock but format it and if it is working then all is good i suppose.
what he said

D4N

Expert Member
It could be a returned (possibly faulty drive). Run a SMART disk diagnostic to check for bad sectors and usage (Power on hours and/or power cycles). If I were you I would take it back...

ADRAM3L3CH

Yeah take it back, I wouldn't be happy paying for a product that was used unless it was discounted

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Take it back. You paid for a new item yet received something second hand

Hectic

Executive Member
Yea. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Had the same thing with a brand new contract cell phone. When I did the set-up I found contact details in the address book of several people and records of sms's sent and received.

Depending on factors like cost involved if you had the parts couriered and you will probably pay to send it back to them and then pay to send it back to you again, time involved (what would your client prefer) or if you can drive to the supplier and swap out the drive will all play a part in this decision.

bekdik

Honorary Master
The big problem is going to be with warrantee. If this is a returned item yhen its warrantee has probably expired. If you are going to keep it, get a written warrantee from Samsung.

jvk

Expert Member
isn't there a pcint rep on these forums ? maybe pm him. i'm sure i've seen the user name pcint on these forums before ...

splinter_watsup

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I called up PCint and according to a sales Rep their,they Test all the hardware before it goes out off their floor. He reckons that the Technicians must have left the OS installed and forgot to format it.

Sounds legit,at first I told him I found information on it which he was shocked about and said that shouldn't happen but when I said it was Windows XP he said ow no that's not a problem.

He says I still have the warranty and if anything happens they will honor it!

mic_y

Expert Member
I would check the power on time... if it is anything over a couple of hours, then get it replaced. and I am sure there are other ways to test an HDD, besides for installing 'Doze on it...

Budza

Executive Member
I don't buy it. There is no way they'd do a complete install on every HDD they ship.

I call BS. Every drive I've ever bought came in a sealed box with bubble wrap etc. All they do is scan the barcode when handing it over. I know they never test them all, as I have had a DOA/OBF on a Samsung before...

Took it back and they gave me a new one the next day. Insist on a new one.

Keeper

Honorary Master
nah, this still doesn't sound kosher to me...them "testing" it out sounds nice, but NO THANX.

I'm a fan of PCInt, but if I buy a new drive it must be a new drive aka RAW.

If I go to the butcher and buy biltong I don't want a bite missing because he tested if it's OK to eat.

Where do you draw the line? do they install 3D cards as well to test if it works? No? Then what's so different about a hard drive then?

also, them putting Windows on it is a lie - why would you install Windows on it?!? Insert it into another PC then, format, copy a few files, and delete the partition again.
Do you really think they spend 45 minutes installing windows onto each Hard Drive?

I call BS.

Edit: It seems we think alike Budza :p

Dan C

Honorary Master
I agree. Not cool. Boot with a live CD and see if there is any personal data on it and what was installed ...