New HDMI 2.1 technology supports 8K and Dynamic HDR

There goes that word "massive" again.

I know something about HDMI, not everything. These are not "MASSIVE" improvements, these are changes to accomodate things such as:

* 4k and 8k resolutions
* The breach of the previous encryption scheme

access

Honorary Master
ffs, just as i thought hdmi 2.0 were in enough products that i can go buy my goodies..

now i must wait. again.

Petec

Expert Member
Please forgive my MASSIVE bemusedalisation... (just made that word up... MASSIVELY proud)
But this is just like the broadband race.
For all that the mainstream pockets can afford, they might as well launch a bazillion K display.

Thor

Honorary Master
And all those that rushed to buy GTX10xx

How does this affect those?

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
What is Dynamic HDR?

Surely the D in HDR means dynamic is already covered?

Dynamic High Dynamic Range makes no sense to me - but then, I am not educated in the ways of television...

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Would love it if they started rolling out DisplayPort connections on TVs.

etienne_marais

Honorary Master

What is Dynamic HDR?

Surely the D in HDR means dynamic is already covered?

Dynamic High Dynamic Range makes no sense to me - but then, I am not educated in the ways of television...

I think HDR is one of those terms flung around similar to bandwidth resulting in some confusion. In my opinion bandwidth originally referred to capacity as opposed to actual bit throughput. Likewise HDR referred to High Dynamic Range in photography and other electronic processing mechanisms, but HDR for certain televisions/monitors referred to High Definition Ready and ins some cases High Dynamic Range causing confusion.

EDIT: Still does not make sense, the HDR in Dynamic HDR seems to refer to High Dynamic Range and not High Definition Ready.

Last edited: