New History curriculum may be compulsory in South African high schools

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Well I guess we can add a bit more about the Kingdoms of Mapungubwe, Zimbabwe, Mutapa, Butua etc that was lacking in my curriculum, but we already had more than enough of the Apartheid type history when I was still in school - I remember my biggest history project was on the life of a struggle hero and this was back in 1995. So unless the subjects actually changed and they took the Apartheid stuff out, why would they want to introduce it back in?

And I thought 10-12 is were learners need to focus on the subjects they selected. Putting more stress on students then isn't a good thing. Sometimes more is less.

koeks525

Expert Member
I don't think they should make this compulsory all the way to grade 12. Instead, they should ensure the history curriculum from grade 1 to 9 includes more African history. In my days, the only African history we got was "Apartheid"... we never looked at other countries past South Africa.

Sl8er

Executive Member

Well, the good news is that no one actually needs to worry about studying / learning this stuff...you get pushed through if you fail anyway, so no biggie.
:crylaugh:

Devviem

Expert Member
I learned about King Moshoeshoe I(Extensively!!!), King Shaka, King Ngubengcuka, Dingane kaSenzangakhona and many more and this was almost 15 years back, What are they on about!?

Devviem

Expert Member

Well, the good news is that no one actually needs to worry about studying / learning this stuff...you get pushed through if you fail anyway, so no biggie.
:crylaugh:
Rofl, this ^

I learned about King Moshoeshoe I(Extensively!!!), King Shaka, King Ngubengcuka, Dingane kaSenzangakhona and many more and this was almost 15 years back, What are they on about!?
Did they tell you when exactly the Xhosas moved in to their present area, and what happened to the previously present Khoi/San/Hottentots?

KillerX

Expert Member
Considering we are headed to the 4th industrial revolution and most countries are placing heavy emphasis on STEM skills to prepare and skill their citizens - we should be making maths mandatory in matric (not the dumbed down version calls math literacy).

History is interesting and all, but if you want to place emphasis on something that matters, at-least do it for subjects that learners can use in their future careers.

access

Executive Member
how about making things compulsory that people need to advance themselves. like how to spend money with various levels of budget. not spend half your salary on a nice car or trade cattle for some useless bling(mirrors in years past)

but no, feeling better because of fairy tales are more important.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
This smells suspiciously like political agenda. Gotta make sure the new generation of voters know who the enemy is...

local academics who said current history textbooks glorified “racists” like Charles Darwin, and do not provide enough exposure to people like Nyakane Tsolo, who was at the forefront of the Sharpeville march in 1960.
Local academics are idiots then. The two are nowhere near comparable.

Also - it's hella shady to revise textbooks for whoever the current regime deems undesirable ("racist").

C4Cat

Executive Member
You learned what Europeans thought and taught about King Moshoeshoe I(Extensively!!!), King Shaka, King Ngubengcuka, Dingane kaSenzangakhona. That's what they're on about

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
You learned what Europeans thought and taught about King Moshoeshoe I(Extensively!!!), King Shaka, King Ngubengcuka, Dingane kaSenzangakhona. That's what they're on about
So now kids are going to learn what Africans thought about racists like Darwin?

Yeah this is totally gonna go well....

Grant

Honorary Master
Did they tell you when exactly the Xhosas moved in to their present area, and what happened to the previously present Khoi/San/Hottentots?
I'm not sure that would be included. Pesky accurate history has a tendency to disrupt political agendas.

In this case pesky history has the potential to toss over the apple cart when it comes to land claims & expropriation.

ponder

Honorary Master
Why would you make history compulsory and not something useful like mathematics? Sounds like a propaganda tool...

I could not wait to drop history as a susbject, was the one I disliked the most.