New Home Affairs – I hope you are here to stay

Daruk

Honorary Master
HA in East London is infinitely better than it was once upon a time. Still not my fav pastime tho.

DXL

Expert Member
News articles for many months have been confirming id/passport applications in banks in kzn. But nothing is happening

It is not possible to get a passport or id without spending a few days From about 3am till 3pm, and then to, you are not guaranteed to get a chance to enter the home affairs building.
This is so True here in KZN .................What I struggle to understand is that are the Ministers not able to identify there are problem areas and possibly rent some buildings in certain areas for a short period and put in the necessary infrastructure and start processing the documents.

Kwa-Mashu and Phoenix are the biggest settlements together with Umlazi and Chatsworth in Kwa-zulu Natal in terms of Population.

1 Small office to service close to 4 Million People close to them.
2 Offices in Durban which they can go to.

ANC service delivery :( at its BEST.

No structure No accountability No reasoning.

Antelope

Pinetown home affairs is probably the most dangerous home affairs in the country.
Despite this, saps denies that there is any crime issue at the home affairs, and the home affairs security doesn't assist people who they see being attacked and robbed.

Pinetown Home Affairs robberies go viral on Facebook

Besides this one article detailing only what one person saw, there are obviously many more but saps denies everything.
I am aware of other incidents as well, where saps was called out to the same place after an incident took a statement and nothing happens after that.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Pinetown home affairs is probably the most dangerous home affairs in the country.
Despite this, saps denies that there is any crime issue at the home affairs, and the home affairs security doesn't assist people who they see being attacked and robbed.

Pinetown Home Affairs robberies go viral on Facebook

Besides this one article detailing only what one person saw, there are obviously many more but saps denies everything.
I am aware of other incidents as well, where saps was called out to the same place after an incident took a statement and nothing happens after that.
Pinetown is the ha office I've been to 3 times and left... I will not stand in the queue, it is too dangerous.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Home Affairs’ online booking platform is easy to use and the process of getting a smart ID card is pleasant.

This was the finding when I applied for and received my ID card through the Home Affairs office in Standard Bank Centurion branch.
If you don't happen to be a client of:

A: one of the banks that have enabled branches for this (there's is literally only one in the entire Western Cape, Standard Bank Canal Walk, no account with SBSA? then F-YOU!)

B: one of the old "big four" in general, you can't do an EFT from any other bank to pay on the eHomeAffairs site

then you are SOL, it is certainly progress, but leaves much to be desired

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

A: one of the banks that have enabled branches for this (there's is literally only one in the entire Western Cape, Standard Bank Canal Walk, no account with SBSA? then F-YOU!)

B: one of the old "big four" in general, you can't do an EFT from any other bank to pay on the eHomeAffairs site

The problem is its not progress.. The state it's in now is the way its been for at least 2 years now if not longer.

The Free Radical

Why the hell it is taking so long to bring more banks online in Cape Town?
They have been stuck in pilot phase for 4 years.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
The problem is its not progress.. The state it's in now is the way its been for at least 2 years now if not longer.
Fair enough, progress from the previous system I guess. This year was the first time in quite a while I've needed to get a passport from Home Affairs, previous time was under the old fully manual system.

I too thought: "hey, neat", but the novelty wore off mighty fast as I ran into its limitations. And flash / PDF ... still?!? OMG

supersunbird

Honorary Master

I'm a Capitec customer. Luckily I had an FNB CC (can't pay for booking with a CC) and with it's online banking I opened an FNB Easy account and paid them (as if I was paying SARS, it was under efiling).

Anyway, if in CT, one opens the cheapest SBSA account and keep it open a few month, then book and do the thing, after you get your ID close the account?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Fair enough, progress from the previous system I guess. This year was the first time in quite a while I've needed to get a passport from Home Affairs, previous time was under the old fully manual system.

I too thought: "hey, neat", but the novelty wore off mighty fast as I ran into its limitations. And flash / PDF ... still?!? OMG
It was implemented with the help of SARS people/supplier after the "who am I online" initiative died. Anyway, I just fired up IE and did it.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
I'm a Capitec customer. Luckily I had an FNB CC (can't pay for booking with a CC) and with it's online banking I opened an FNB Easy account and paid them (as if I was paying SARS, it was under efiling).
I paid with my wife's nedbank account as I too am a Capitec customer and didn't feel like opening an account just for this.

Anyway, if in CT, one opens the cheapest SBSA account and keep it open a few month, then book and do the thing, after you get your ID close the account?
Possible, I have a closed SBSA cheapie account that I can still log into after all these years, was close to just test if it works for this, but then saw that a third party can do the payment and used the wife's account.

Still meant I had to go complete the process at Home Affairs instead of a bank branch, but honestly that wasn't too painful, just the initial queue at the front door before they figure out who's already done something online vs not done anything vs collecting only etc is a massive ball-ache and a waste of everyone's time. Past that point it was smooth sailing mostly.

Pixual

Expert Member
Everything in the ANC's Durban is a disaster. Everything. Without exception.

Swa

Honorary Master
Home affairs still paying mybb for these "articles"?

HaNsA

Expert Member
Just by the way, I had the same problem with an old passport application being open on the system from 2009.

Fortunately over the phone (home affairs customer service helpline) the lady sorted it out, she sent an email to the appropriate department and within one hour the application went through correctly.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

Similar experience, and the second it left the online world and I had to go into an HA office the experience devolved right back to the shyte show that it has been for ages.