New household tax proposed for funding the SABC

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

Unreal

Investments and PPP are a more sustainable model going forward. You can only tax citizens so much

Iwojima

Expert Member
Pinky: "We need to do away with the apartheid model of funding"

Also Pinky: "Look how well funded it was during apartheid".

Your problem is not your funding model, Pinky. It's that you sat on your arses for a quarter of a century while the world moved on.

Sarg3_ZN

Expert Member
New household tax proposed for funding the SABC

The Department of Communications wants to declare the SABC a Public Service Media Broadcaster and fund it through a new household levy.

This was one of the proposals presented by Deputy Minister of Communications Pinky Kekana during a recent Portfolio Committee on Communications meeting.

Kekana said the SABC was trailing behind the broadcasting industry, which is aggressively moving online.

If you can't keep up then its time to close down

Crumbl0x

I'm perhaps missing something but I can't follow the trail of reasoning laid out over why it's not being well funded in recent times.
Of course the older network(s) were funded appropriately due to it being the predominant source of visual entertainment in the home, now that it's shifted to a rundle-based, online form, naturally you're going to follow suit in order to compete. Are they implying all forms of traditional televised entertainment is apartheid-rooted as well, regardless of nation?

Swa

Honorary Master
"She said the online environment is far more lucrative than the traditional broadcasting platforms, and the SABC, therefore, needs to change its operating environment."
Yet the online environment is running at a loss. Fact of the matter is they want to fund something where they'll squander even more money.

SilverCode

“Going back, if you look at the old TV 1 which was predominantly English and Afrikaans, and the old Springbok Radio, they were well funded,” she said.

In comparison, the SABC is currently facing budgetary constraints which are preventing it from providing quality services in all local languages.
Uh, is she suggesting that non-English and non-Afrikaans speakers don't pay their TV licenses? Seems wrong to speak ill of people just because of the language they were born into...

Afon Kulikov

Forging
Jissus, the stupidity and moronic **** coming out of the ANC criminal syndicate is just getting worse.
There is ****all left of the SABC and other SEO''s because of your depravity, looting and incompetence. So stop trying to force taxpayers to pay for your thievery and criminal behaviour

Last edited:

newby_investor

Expert Member
I see two problems with this.

SABC CFO Yolande van Biljon revealed that the TV licence fee “evasion rate” – i.e. households which do not bother to pay for a licence – is 76%.

So that's of people who have a TV and should pay licences. How are you going to get someone like myself, who doesn't own a TV, to bother paying this levy?

Problem number 2 is, that there are a lot of households who are only a TV levy away from poverty. I'd grumble about it but ultimately I think I'd be able to afford this. OTOH, there are many households, especially as a result of the ANC's brilliant management of the COVID crisis, who simply will not be able to afford to prop up the SABC's incompetence. Then what?

Milano

Honorary Master
Uh, is she suggesting that non-English and non-Afrikaans speakers don't pay their TV licenses? Seems wrong to speak ill of people just because of the language they were born into...
They have no idea what they are suggesting.

Milano

Honorary Master
I see two problems with this.

So that's of people who have a TV and should pay licences. How are you going to get someone like myself, who doesn't own a TV, to bother paying this levy?

Problem number 2 is, that there are a lot of households who are only a TV levy away from poverty. I'd grumble about it but ultimately I think I'd be able to afford this. OTOH, there are many households, especially as a result of the ANC's brilliant management of the COVID crisis, who simply will not be able to afford to prop up the SABC's incompetence. Then what?
Don't stress. Next week you will need a tv licence for a kettle.

mypetcow

So now it’s supposed to be a per household tax/license fee regardless it you own a TV or not? It isn’t immediately clear to me what is meant by the BBC model...