New HTC phones?

Mr Hankey

My contract is up at the end of the month and I still have not seen anything new that tickles my fancy. My 2 year old Desire HD is still hundreds but its time for a new contract and with it a new phone.

MTN have a couple HTC models available the new 8X windows phone- not too keen on Windows and the Desire X and the Desire C. None of which are any better spec wise than the 2 year old DHD.

Anyone out there have a line on when new phones are landing in the country? I like the sound of the new Butterfly, but who knows if we will ever see that phone here...
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_butterfly-5118.php

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I've never like HTC :sick:

But that's besides the point. Why not just keep your Desire HD and renew the contract without a phone subsidy? You'll pay less every month, no?

nadimm

Expert Member
Phone subsidies are worth it.

HTC One X+ is the flagship at the moment. HTC DNA (butterfly?) is the upcoming flagship, so I would wait or go for another brand. It's new phone season almost.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Phone subsidies are only worth it if you need a phone.

My friends got the One X. 2 weeks and screen broke on drop. It's not a really that impressive a phone (/ducks). I'd rather wait for the nextgen HTC's to come out.

Toitjie

Expert Member
Butterfly does look good, but remember this one point --> Non-removable Li-Po 2020 mAh battery

And, at the moment the Galaxy S IV's rumored specs are more impressive (I know it's a rumor, but will be announced end Feb :p)

Last edited:

D3x

Expert Member
HTC One X Plus, enough said. If you are willing to wait for the S4 to release then you could do that to.

Sirf

Been using an HTC One X for almost a year now. Battery life is truly poor outside of power saver mode. But otherwise, it performs like a champ.

nadimm

Expert Member
Subsidies are worth it unless you plan to replace your phone never.

I don't think the OP wants to wait 48 months before getting the option to upgrade again

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Subsidies are worth it unless you plan to replace your phone never.

I don't think the OP wants to wait 48 months before getting the option to upgrade again
Get an cheaper unsubsidised plan now. When the phone you really want is out go buy it (cash or through FNB or whatever). People looking at these high end phones are hardly people without money. The extra $ you pay for a phone you REALLY want is way better than saving on a phone that is just meh.

Diabolix

My contract is also due for a upgrade on the 7th of March this year. I currently have the Desire HD, waiting patiently for the HTC M7..

Mr Hankey

Im gonna have to make some sort of decision soon. My contract is up this week. Lets hope them new phones are due to land soon...

I wonder if I can renew the contract and only claim the new phone when/(if) it arrives in the next couple of weeks.
worth a try...

BandwidthAddict

Expert Member
Don't go HTC. They are in severe financial straits and there is no guarantee that they will be around in 6 months.

For Android, I would suggest either go Nexus or Samsung. Since you are on contract, Samsung is the best option.

Mr Hankey

Thanks for that, will reconsider. HTC have always been good phones, they seem to last longer than any other contract phone ive had. With that said, maybe its time for a change...

Don't go HTC. They are in severe financial straits and there is no guarantee that they will be around in 6 months.

For Android, I would suggest either go Nexus or Samsung. Since you are on contract, Samsung is the best option.

Glue

Expert Member
Just got a One X+ and wow what a great phone.
If HTC could just have better service in SA!!!

rossco_007

I've got a DHD too. Went into the shops this weekend and looked at the one x and the experia T. Neither looked like much of an 'upgrade' so I'm gonna play the waiting game. It's supposed to be the year of the 5" phone so may as well jump on that wagon than get a phone that's kinda like your current phone and be stuck with it for the next 2 years.

I thought at the time, and still do, that HTC were ahead of the game with the DHD. Form factor was spot on once I'd held the phone for a few days and it's still an attractive looking phone two years on. Nice work HTC.
Now get me my damn butterfly.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I've got a DHD too. Went into the shops this weekend and looked at the one x and the experia T. Neither looked like much of an 'upgrade' so I'm gonna play the waiting game. It's supposed to be the year of the 5" phone so may as well jump on that wagon than get a phone that's kinda like your current phone and be stuck with it for the next 2 years.

I thought at the time, and still do, that HTC were ahead of the game with the DHD. Form factor was spot on once I'd held the phone for a few days and it's still an attractive looking phone two years on. Nice work HTC.
I had a Desire HD and got an Xperia T when I upgraded. It's definitely worth it.

Mr Hankey

Well said, thats exactly the predicament i was in.
Funny thing today, I went to the MTN store planning on getting an Xperia T today. And I just happen to bump into the HTC Rep briefing the staff on the pending arrival of the new HTC model/s.
She could not tell me what was arriving but did say the worldwide release is on the 19th of this month, and phones are due to be available mid March.
Low and behold as i step into the office; HTC uploads a new image to there FB page... https://www.facebook.com/HTCSouthAfrica
Anyway I promptly told the sales staff to put the Xperia back on the shelf. Close call!
Im rather going to wait. Wether its a Butterfly, One X or Droid DNA; im sold!