New iPad Pro - South African pricing

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
Anyone used the new iPad pro and pencil? How would you compare it to something like a decent Wacom pad?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Anyone used the new iPad pro and pencil? How would you compare it to something like a decent Wacom pad?
Wacom is better... but when you use the Intuos it can be a bit frustrating.. This would be a cheaper alternative to a Wacom Cintiq

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
Wacom is better... but when you use the Intuos it can be a bit frustrating.. This would be a cheaper alternative to a Wacom Cintiq
Awesome, ta! I don't suppose you've tried one of the cheaper chinese brands like the Huion? There's a huge difference in price, I just wondered if it's worth it for a non-professional.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Awesome, ta! I don't suppose you've tried one of the cheaper chinese brands like the Huion? There's a huge difference in price, I just wondered if it's worth it for a non-professional.
I have and I don't like them...

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I'm a non-professional, I just mess about with drawing and image-manipulation for giggles.

I recently bought the 2018 wired-model of the Intuos S from Takealot because it was at a very good price that I see is still on. As ArtyLoop says it can be frustrating (because you naturally compare it to a mouse trackpad), but after a few days of use I got used to it. And after a month now I'm quite proficient at using it. Its all about hand-eye coordination.

Also from comparing reviews on Amazon I learned that support for the cheaper brands is lacking, as is accessories. If you can spare the cash I think its worth it. I use it a lot more than all the other useless gadgets I buy. :) Much cheaper than an iPad for a hobbyist.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
I'm a non-professional, I just mess about with drawing and image-manipulation for giggles.

I recently bought the 2018 wired-model of the Intuos S from Takealot because it was at a very good price that I see is still on. As ArtyLoop says it can be frustrating (because you naturally compare it to a mouse trackpad), but after a few days of use I got used to it. And after a month now I'm quite proficient at using it. Its all about hand-eye coordination.

Also from comparing reviews on Amazon I learned that support for the cheaper brands is lacking, as is accessories. If you can spare the cash I think its worth it. I use it a lot more than all the other useless gadgets I buy. :) Much cheaper than an iPad for a hobbyist.
You do get used to it... I find with the Intuos, its kind of hard to draw to scale... so I draw in pencil first, scan that in and then use the Intuos to get the lines digital.
All my comics are done with the Intuos.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You do get used to it... I find with the Intuos, its kind of hard to draw to scale... so I draw in pencil first, scan that in and then use the Intuos to get the lines digital.
All my comics are done with the Intuos.

Isn’t the iPad Pro hugely beneficial then for drawing on the actual surface instead of on another that is then presented on a screen?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Isn’t the iPad Pro hugely beneficial then for drawing on the actual surface instead of on another that is then presented on a screen?
It is... but my main concern is always... scratches to the screen. Also bear in mind the iPad is no Cintiq.. there's a reason why the Cintiq costs more