New Jersey driver crashes car after passing out from wearing N95 mask

Nirv

In an environment saturated with gases that displace oxygen, you might not notice it. You slowly drift to sleep. Bro and I have been in a CO environment when we were younger. Bro passed out and had no idea what happened afterwards. How did I notice? I tried to stand up...and fell. I crawled out and called an adult for help. I felt the mild headaches afterwards.
Yeah that's the risk with carbon monoxide (CO). Our bodies don't have receptors to recognize it and it binds to blood cells in place of oxygen, leading to hypoxia without warning signs.

However CO2, carbon dioxide, definitely is noticed by the body and you'll know if you're not getting enough oxygen because of excess CO2. You don't just pass out without warning like with CO.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
You need to get used to it and also take into account that all the mask heavy occupations have to test their workers each year. It’s standard Health and Safety practice.

If their lung capacity is to weak then they cannot work there anymore.
They test lung function to see suitability to work in a certain environment. Workers are encouraged to wear masks or respirators in areas with potential to get saturated with impurities, vapours or gases. Lung function tests check extend of damage by such environments.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
They test lung function to see suitability to work in a certain environment. Workers are encouraged to wear masks or respirators in areas with potential to get saturated with impurities, vapours or gases. Lung function tests check extend of damage by such environments.
Yes hence you cannot compare that group to the general population since they have already been deemed fit to work in those environments.

Also depending on the given environment, masks are mandatory.

Mila

Honorary Master
i have asthma and my lung capacity is shot.
To get used to the mask was a process but i can wear one now with no issues.

That said, in the beginning i would hyper ventilate because My brain thought I had restricted oxygen flow.
You don’t, you just need to learn to breathe.

Brain surgeons stand for hours withs masks on and no they don’t take breaks because bacteria.

I hate wearing a mask. I detest it. I do not wear one while driving. All you have to do is breathe through it and don’t panic. You have enough air and there is not going to be any carbon monoxide poisoning