New Kreepy Krauly Pro problems.

Barrymore

In less than two weeks I have detected the following problems.

1. After back washing, it works well for a few days then slows down
and finally stops working even though the suction at the weir is enough
to suck my hand into the pipe. On inspection I find no debris blocking the unit.

2. Setting the weight balance according to the manual does not help.
In the mornings before I switch the pump on I see the cleaner in the deep end
leaning forward and tilting sideways, not standing flat on the floor.
I have even removed the first two weights but this does not help.

3.My old cleaner would work for weeks without a backwash - only problem was that it stuck at steps.
I have to question whether this cleaner requires a stronger pump to work effectively. My motor is 0.75KW.

Any assistance here would be appreciated.

Polish

Immigrant
I have the same unit, and i'm happy as a pig in schit with it.

The tilting after switch on indeed looks odd but the krauly goes flat after a few mins. The weights are set as per instructions.

Check the suction intensity at the pump though. Also, check that the assembly was done properly/ correctly, I battled a bit putting on that rubber wing mounting.

Having said you can take it back and request replacement for new, the CPA allows that, provided you have all original parts and packaging.

Barrymore

The tilting after switch on indeed looks odd but the krauly goes flat after a few mins. The weights are set as per instructions.

Check the suction intensity at the pump though. Also, check that the assembly was done properly/ correctly, I battled a bit putting on that rubber wing mounting.

Having said you can take it back and request replacement for new, the CPA allows that, provided you have all original parts and packaging.
I had trouble mounting the rubber skirt as it is so thick I had to use tools to get it on.
Connecting the side flaps to the unit was also a problem as the flaps connection is flat while the place to connect them to is curved.
I only succeeded by leaving them in the sun to soften. However I believe all is assembled correctly,
Currently the cleaner is not working but if I backwash (like done previously) it will probably work again for a few days.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Guys....stupid question. Is it backwash first, then rince, then back to filer?

Barrymore

I had trouble mounting the rubber skirt as it is so thick I had to use tools to get it on.
Connecting the side flaps to the unit was also a problem as the flaps connection is flat while the place to connect them to is curved.
I only succeeded by leaving them in the sun to soften. However I believe all is assembled correctly,
Currently the cleaner is not working but if I backwash (like done previously) it will probably work again for a few days.
I left it disconnected for one day. I then tried it again and once again it worked for about an hour then slowed down then stopped.
I cannot return it as I no longer have the box. The fact that the unit itself cannot be dismantled makes it impossible to see behind the hammer so any blockage there would not be visible.

Barrymore

I can only conclude that this model requires more suction power than other cleaners as my Gemini worked for weeks without a back wash
and was still working when I replaced it with this model.

YeOldeOke

This may be obvious, but sometimes the obvious is overlooked. You didn't mention it. Have you adjusted the suction at the valve that you should have placed in the weir?

Nobody4

Set the pump to bypass the filter and see if it runs fine. If it does you know it is the sand filter.

PS... It does sound like the filter. Sand needs to be changed.

Last edited:

Barrymore

This cleaner is now six months old. Today is the second time the hammer has stuck in the open position (nothing obstructing it)
This leaves it stationary on the floor.
To remove the unit from the pool is not easy as using the pole and brush to push it out of the deep end is impossible.
It is as if it has been glued to the floor and no amount of force will move it.

Mez

I gave up with Kreepy Krauly's and such. After years of trying all sorts of different makes and models,
having them work for a week or 2 and have them get stuck in corners, not climbing the wall or not move at all.
I have started vacuuming the pool when it is needed and brush down the sides and basically just run the filter and the occasional back wash-rinse. Less of a hassle for me personally.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
This cleaner is now six months old. Today is the second time the hammer has stuck in the open position (nothing obstructing it)
To remove the unit from the pool is not easy as using the pole and brush to push it out of the deep end is impossible.
Mine has done the same maybe 5 or 6 times in 18 months. A bump gets it going again. Not sure why it happens. Otherwise it's been problem free and I haven't had to replace any diaphragm like the zodiac machines before it.

chewiesw

Expert Member
Have you tried calling Kreepy Krauly? I assume that must have some sort of customer service / troubleshooting department.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
You may be going in the opposite direction with this, by increasing the suction to much and so it is sucking itself onto the floor and cannot move. the above highlighted area is a problem you may have to much suction on the kreepy krauly. Maybe try and lower the springs on the bypass valve in the weir basket (so it can suck in more water) and see if it helps.