New Laptop

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
If you go to Laptopdirect.co.za you can narrow down your search by manufacturer, price and specs, such as screen size, resolution etc.

I found some nice Sony Vaio laptops that might suit the bill for the OP.

juro

If you go to Laptopdirect.co.za you can narrow down your search by manufacturer, price and specs, such as screen size, resolution etc.

Thank you - I wouldn't buy Sony though ;)

Anyway, is the difference between Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64 and Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64 anything to write home about? I did like IBM's laptops, are Lenovo anywhere near IBM?

If I look at this one http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/laptop_specifications.php?laptop=37075
and compare it to this one http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/laptop_specifications.php?laptop=36891 , it seems the first one is better, i7 quad core (for what it's worth), bigger screen etc. Am I wrong?

furnic

Expert Member
I still say get the Asooooos ROG for 10k, can't go wrong with that.

alternate

Expert Member
Yea I need a Laptop for uni next year and it's hard to find a proper resolution screen on a 17"

kilobits

Executive Member

ASUS Republic of Gamers G51JX-X3 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (Blue)

Intel Core i5-430M Processor 2.26 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.53 GHz
4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM, 2 SODIMM Slots; 8GB Max
500GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM); Super Multi Optical Disk Drive; Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn
15.6" Full HD 1920x1080 LED LCD Display; NVidia GTS 360M Graphics Engine with 1GB DDR5 dedicated VRAM
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System; Bluetooth; 2.0MP Webcam; Backlit Chiclet Keyboard

This is nice... just never heard of Cybertrek though at all... kark looking website...

EDIT: It runs very hot people are saying, and battery life sucks... but that is the price you pay for performance I guess

http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamers-G51JX-X3-15-6-Inch-Gaming/dp/B00361G0ZO#intel
http://compreviews.about.com/od/PC-Gaming/fr/ASUS-G51JX-X3.htm

Last edited:

kilobits

Executive Member
Hi Furnic...

Yes indeed... for that price it is REALLY a nice spec machine.

Pada

Executive Member
I have to add that although it's pretty awesome to have a 17" laptop screen with 1920x1200 resolution, I feel that it the resolution is sometimes just that tiny bit too high for the screen size - so I would've actually preferred 1680x1050 for a 17" screen.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
That's an awesome laptop, if you wanna play games. The reason why I like my Macbook Pro though is it's quiet, light, thin and has good battery life.

So it all depends on your needs and preferences.

lived666

Executive Member
I want to get one of these for my kid next year for Rage - went this year but battled with slow laptop :(

shogun

Expert Member
<snip> I feel that it the resolution is sometimes just that tiny bit too high for the screen size - so I would've actually preferred 1680x1050 for a 17" screen.

Nooooooo!

*Posted from my 17" 1920x1200 Dell Inspiron.

@OP: I saw the studio mentioned earlier with a 15.6" display. Don't do that. gf has one, and i'd hate to use it for development. It's a good machine, but the res is not ideal, and the studio mouse pads are way too sensitive to misplaced hand movements (my opinion after using an Inspiron). I would say go for a Dell if you can find a model u like due to the next business day on-site warranty. I'd post again how it saved my a$$ a few times, but I think this forum has heard enough of that story:p

lived666

Executive Member
I don't think I've heard your story, but if you've had to use their service a few times, doesn't that mean they keep breaking?

shogun

Expert Member
I don't think I've heard your story, but if you've had to use their service a few times, doesn't that mean they keep breaking?

Yep, you'd think that. But i'd say the risk of your notebook breaking down at least once in the time you have it is generally pretty high... especially if you carry it around everywhere in your backpack, accidentally drop it once or twice and generally don't handle with extreme care (Dell please don't read this:p). My notebook travels a lot and it's a 17" so it's a little heavier on the bumps. They have much the same components as other laptops (HDD's etc) so I don't see the risk being any greater.

I've probably been on the more extreme side with almost the whole notebook being replaced (HDD, Screen, Mobo (for the graphics card), keyboard), but I think my point is, i'd rather not have to send it away for two weeks if something went wrong.

My gf's studio hasn't had any issues yet, but I know of a few other dells that have had mobo's replaced due to a graphics card issue. The support is usually a painless process. Phone, tech comes out with new part the next day (usually early morning), leaves in 20min, I carry on working. Across the whole office, happened about 4 times last year, every time we lost at most 18 hrs downtime (over night + a few hrs extra).

juro

I think that most laptops are pretty much at the same level when it comes to breaking, etc (throwing them down doesn't usually help though). Interestingly Apple products seem to break consistently a few days AFTER the warranty ends or the next generation comes along .... ;)
Any comments on my question earlier?

Anyway, is the difference between Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64 and Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64 anything to write home about? I did like IBM's laptops, are Lenovo anywhere near IBM?

If I look at this one http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/laptop_specifications.php?laptop=37075
and compare it to this one http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/laptop_specifications.php?laptop=36891 , it seems the first one is better, i7 quad core (for what it's worth), bigger screen etc. Am I wrong?

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
The first one does have a more powerful CPU and graphics, yes. However the 2nd one will be thinner, quieter and have longer battery life. So it depends on your definition of "better" Both Windows 7 Professional and Home Premium are great.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
With regards to screen resolution I had 1680x1050 on my Dell D820 and now have 1600x900 on my E6510. 1920x1080 is just to high on 15.4" IMO. There is a huge difference between the LCD on the old and and LED backlit LCD on my new notebook. It really is great!

The one thing no-one has mentioned here is after-sales warranty. I went with Dell because I have been unable to find anyone that can match their 3 year next business day on-site warranty. On some models this is optional but well worth it. There is also an option for full insurance cover. I use my notebook for work and play so I really cannot afford to courier it to wherever and wait for it to be fixed. Each time I and others at the office had issues with a Dell we'd log a fault and the next day a Dell technician would be on-site with parts. Everyone has different after-sales experiences, but so far I cannot fault Dell in the 4 years I've used their products.