New launch date for digital TV in South Africa

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
And how long will this dual ellimination period last? Another 10 years? :mad:

Kelerei

Expert Member
Bit of a bump here. The television set in my possession (Samsung J6300) has a built-in DVB-T2 tuner and is picking up digital broadcasts (Rosebank, Cape Town). Only got the thing a week ago, so no idea when the digital broadcast actually started.

Limited observations to date:

• There's a plethora of radio stations -- all seems to be the national, SABC ones (R2000, Metro, 5FM etc.)
  • Five SABC channels are present: SABC HD (no idea what the programming is, and frankly not interested enough to find out), SABC News, and good old SABC 1,2,3.
  • etv is conspicuous by its absence.
  • I ran auto-tuning on the TV before GOtv started up, no idea if it's capable of picking those signals up. Not expecting the TV to be able to though; guessing that the GOtv broadcast is encrypted and would require their decoder no matter what.
  • While digital broadcasting allows some extra features to be broadcast (e.g. TV guides as per what DSTV has), only some of the radio stations support this.
  • This presumably means that TVs with a built-in DVB-T2 tuner can forgo the STB requirement.

There's nothing in the list that I personally am interested in listening to or watching, but I find this interesting nonetheless. Looks like some progress is being made, through nowhere near fast enough.