New law to embed expropriation without compensation into Constitution is to be sent to the National Assembly for consideration

mylesillidge

Journalist
Expropriation without compensation law adopted — Parliament to consider changing South Africa's Constitution

The Ad Hoc Committee to Initiate and Introduce Legislation Amending Section 25 of the Constitution has adopted the Constitution 18th Amendment Bill, which will see the expropriation of land without compensation embedded in the Constitution.

Committee chairperson, Dr Mathole Motshekga, said the Bill in its entirety, as well as the memorandum on the objects of the Bill, were endorsed by the majority of members in the committee.

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
How did we get within a week from here:

To this?

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
So all those threads with hundreds of posts full of wailing and gnashing of teeth were in vain?

giphy.gif

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

To this?
Still has to be passed in Parliament. Cannot without the EFF's support. They did not attend the ad hoc committee meeting which adopted the law.

ebendl

Expert Member

To this?
Yeah I'm just as confused as you are.

The one thing that I've realised is, that if there's not a massive "NEWSFLASH: Expropriation-without-Compensation bill dead in the water!" on every major news outlet's home page, but only on a single site, then it is probably more of an opinion piece rather than actual news.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Came here to ask this......

To this?
Premature ejaculation kind of thing, but in a journalistic kind of way. Top notch, I believe.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Still has to be passed in Parliament. Cannot without the EFF's support. They did not attend the ad hoc committee meeting which adopted the law.
From a idealistic view, this addition is a move closer to what the EFF desires. There is a reasonable chance that they may compromise their political position and support it in assembly. The question is what then?