New law to embed expropriation without compensation into Constitution is to be sent to the National Assembly for consideration

Oldfut

Expert Member
As elections loom and the ANC sees a bit of a threat to its grasp of absolute power so its populist rhetoric ratchets up. I think the ANC elites think they can control the EWC monster, having learnt from Zim. They think it can be used as bait to keep voters thinking they will get an asset for free and keep voting ANC.

Practically all these elites care about is themselves so they see a few (more) wine and game farms slotting into their portfolios, maybe to sell or lease back to the original owners but the Thandi Modise types may think they can farm; the rest of SA, well they will continue to get poorer, as has happened with 20 odd years of land "restitution". If urban land and houses start getting EWC'd (and that is where the demand for property is but not mentioned when the EWC laws are punted) then it could get nasty and stakes are high.

One reality may be that many farms are companies, borrowed to the hilt (some by recent design) and, as in Zim and learnt from Zim, farmers can just walk away. We shall see.

mojoman

Expert Member
Sweetfokol. One house converted the garage into a spaza shop. Was reported to the municipality - Still fokol happening. Two other houses have signs up "Laundry service".
Couple of the houses in my street are now 'informal settlements' basically with about 6 or 7 chicken 'hokkies' on each property where people live...no facilities such as water and sewerage (they take the water from the taxi rank where it leaks 24.7 anyway!)..municipality does sweet FA and then the cherry on the cake.... ups the propertyvalue on my house so I can pay more tax.....My kak house on Squatter Camp Avenue... :laugh:
(im very much toying with the idea of doing exactly the same anbd buggering off....its R800 per chicken hokkie rent per month!)

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Couple of the houses in my street are now 'informal settlements' basically with about 6 or 7 chicken 'hokkies' on each property where people live...no facilities such as water and sewerage (they take the water from the taxi rank where it leaks 24.7 anyway!)..municipality does sweet FA and then the cherry on the cake.... ups the propertyvalue on my house so I can pay more tax.....My kak house on Squatter Camp Avenue... :laugh:
(im very much toying with the idea of doing exactly the same anbd buggering off....its R800 per chicken hokkie rent per month!)
How about you build chicken hokkies on your own property and rent it out ?

mojoman

Expert Member
Tha
How about you build chicken hokkies on your own property and rent it out ?
Thats exactly what I was thinking....If I cant sell the place for a reasonable amount then this is what I will do...
When in Rome.....
I might even build toilets and a shower unit....:laugh:

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Tha

Thats exactly what I was thinking....If I cant sell the place for a reasonable amount then this is what I will do...
When in Rome.....
I might even build toilets and a shower unit....:laugh:
Then you can charge 1K rent a month for each pondokkie. Don't stop there. Rent out the rooms in your house, take all that rental income, fokof to another suburb and get a new house.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Then you can charge 1K rent a month for each pondokkie. Don't stop there. Rent out the rooms in your house, take all that rental income, fokof to another suburb and get a new house.
They'll just stop paying rent and squat for real....and you'll be fukked.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
They'll just stop paying rent and squat for real....and you'll be fukked.

Pretty much this...

The people that own the squatter houses are more than likely either very very hardassed about the rent (to the point that people have disappeared for not paying it) or they're financially fscked because they're getting no rent and the place is being systematically destroyed by the "tenants"

mojoman

Expert Member
Pretty much this...

The people that own the squatter houses are more than likely either very very hardassed about the rent (to the point that people have disappeared for not paying it) or they're financially fscked because they're getting no rent and the place is being systematically destroyed by the "tenants"
Ive had a run in with the wit 'box' who owns the property across the road...I have no issues at all with the tennants...they all work...maybe one or two parties a month....My issue is with the landowner who expects these guys to get water from the taxi rank and go to the toilet in the bushes (as well as the local municipality for allowing it)...When I spoke to the guys renting they said he (owner) has an attitude of if you dont like it then sod off and he will get others in...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Ive had a run in with the wit 'box' who owns the property across the road...I have no issues at all with the tennants...they all work...maybe one or two parties a month....My issue is with the landowner who expects these guys to get water from the taxi rank and go to the toilet in the bushes (as well as the local municipality for allowing it)...When I spoke to the guys renting they said he (owner) has an attitude of if you dont like it then sod off and he will get others in...

Depending on your municipality, you probably need to start shotgunning lots and lots of departments to try resolve that issue.

I would approach the water department, health and safety, land use, etc... you might get lucky and find one department actually decides to do something.

mojoman

Expert Member
Depending on your municipality, you probably need to start shotgunning lots and lots of departments to try resolve that issue.

I would approach the water department, health and safety, land use, etc... you might get lucky and find one department actually decides to do something.
Mogale City....
Pretty much bankrupt and closed these days..
Much the same as a lot of municipalities I think...Anyway...I think a few buffalo notes make things go away.,....

grok

Honorary Master
How is the color of the box important, if not racist?

Where's RaceWatchers when you need them hey TheChamp & co?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
This needs a 2/3 or higher to pass, I don't recall them having enough?

Not to mention this will be in concourt super quick.

rvZA

Executive Member
This needs a 2/3 or higher to pass, I don't recall them having enough?

Not to mention this will be in concourt super quick.

With support from the EFF they will have 2/3rds

There is no way on this earth the Concourt will say the poor black majority must suffer and white people keep their properties and land.

Paul Kemp

Expert Member
The amendment to section 25 relates to compensation and is obviously the headline grabber but does anyone know what class of land is in their crosshairs to facilitate transformation? I don’t see much details nor a list of what has already been expropriated under the current rules which involve compensation.
These details may be useful cause I don’t think any of these articles do much besides rile people up.

rvZA

Executive Member
The amendment to section 25 relates to compensation and is obviously the headline grabber but does anyone know what class of land is in their crosshairs to facilitate transformation? I don’t see much details nor a list of what has already been expropriated under the current rules which involve compensation.
These details may be useful cause I don’t think any of these articles do much besides rile people up.

As per many requests from the EFF, whose help they need to get the Constitution amended, it will be all land. The act does not differentiate between different types of land. The only exclusion will be traditional land, as proposed last week.