New MacBook Pro launched — It's ports galore

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The nice thing is you can have both
Exactly.

USB-c is far more useful and has more utility value than magsafe. As a design function, magsafe solves a problem but creates others. I've owned many MacBooks over the years, several with magsafe and the USB-c is far more useful in terms of using different chargers, cables, charging ports as well as other brand power supplies. Not once have I ever 'tripped' over the cable (as the rationale for magsafe states).
Glad to hear it. Wish I could say the same. This time around I'm "stuck" with USB-C and will miss the convenience of magsafe and the port it frees up.

zippy

Honorary Master
I don’t really give a f###k how any laptop looks. It’s the performance and utility that counts. This looks tempting.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Ye, I'm glad they have the cable separate now.

My Magsafe charger is the only cable I've had to fray so badly that the wiring is exposed. It was a very common issue with these cables.
True - all of mine have been patched with duck tape at one time or another. They get used and abused though.

The Darkness

Expert Member
Exactly.

Glad to hear it. Wish I could say the same. This time around I'm "stuck" with USB-C and will miss the convenience of magsafe and the port it frees up.
yeah one needs to be careful, just as you do when driving a car, carrying a baby or using any other cabled machine.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
YouTubers are going balls deep with ordering these new MBP's. Case in point, R400k+:

I spent $28,000 on the NEW 2021 MacBooks... - Created Tech

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
yeah one needs to be careful, just as you do when driving a car, carrying a baby or using any other cabled machine.
Lets just say mine get placed in situations most people's don't. I only get to control my immediate area, and only up to a point, everywhere else is a free-for-all.

IMG_2493.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

You should see what my kids and cars get subjected to. ;)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Ye, I'm glad they have the cable separate now.

My Magsafe charger is the only cable I've had to fray so badly that the wiring is exposed. It was a very common issue with these cables.

I think by the very nature of unhooking both sides means it won’t strain so much when coiled so shouldn’t be a problem any more.

Assuming you do disconnect it when rolling it up to put into a bag.

Thinking about it with the crazy battery life the MagSafe connectors makes very little sense in the here and now, unless it truly is the only way to push that much power into the battery for quick charging.

With a crazy battery like that the risk of it being plugged in at an odd location where it could pull the machine off is vastly reduced.

I do hope the new feet on the underside are are at least a little bit grippy.

tridev

I am disappointed the laptop is thicker than the previous Intel model. I thought they would be able to get rid of the fans and make it super slim but it seems to have gone the other way.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Deprecated? Someone should tell all peripheral manufactures that.
99% of flash drives also use USB A exclusively.

Other than your dongle or dock, what uses USB C exclusively?
My videomic NTG and Atem Mini. I currently have a USB-C only MBP and pretty much the only things I plug into the dongle are HDMI for my external monitor and SD cards. Both of these are now covered on the new configuration.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Except the USB-C will most likely have a performance hit due to lower wattage?
I'd imagine the USB-C would operate at whatever the spec allows for. The MagSafe might have higher spec, but I'm not convinced yet as they charge from the same brick.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
How much is that?
$50 from Apple. The 140w USB-C Power Adapter is another $100. Obviously both come included with the new 16" MBP.
Adapters. Adapters everywhere.

/sulks with only having USB-C ports on my Dell and no adaptors yet.
Card readers and ethernet. I'm going to have to rethink the adapter I'm looking at - I realised just now looking at the photo that I absolutely need ethernet. Wifi in stadiums just doesn't work.