New monitor (is g-sync worth it)

GreatWmR

Expert Member
I want to get a new monitor
i currently have a DELL P2417H 60Hz
im looking at two monitors currently from wootware

https://www.wootware.co.za/aoc-g246...44hz-1ms-tn-amd-freesync-desktop-monitor.html
and
https://www.wootware.co.za/aoc-g246...0hz-1ms-tn-nvidia-g-sync-desktop-monitor.html

i have a zotac GTX 1060 Mini 3GB and ill be playing overwatch and games like fallout 4 mostly
i get between 60 and 70 FPS in overwatch and 60 in Fallout

Is g-sync worth it at that price? should i rather get the cheaper 144Hz monitor? or should i wait for the g-synch monitors to go down in price?

ponder

Honorary Master
V-Sync maybe?

If was vsync he should not see 70fps in overwatch.

not fond of vsync or gsync as they create input lag. Prefer higher fps in which case you also dont get much screen tearing.

GreatWmR

Expert Member
Why is your fps so low for those games?
Not sure really, i used to get 50 - 60 fps in overwatch before i upgraded my CPU a few weeks ago
(and like 20 fps in fallout when fights broke out in Boston city with all the mutants)
and no i don't use V-sync,
Perhaps i need to fiddle around in the settings, i haven't in months, ill give it a try when i get home

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member

not fond of vsync or gsync as they create input lag. Prefer higher fps in which case you also dont get much screen tearing.

Vsync, yes. G-Sync and FreeSync introduces a negligible amount. I also don't use VSync, but sadly don't have a G-Sync monitor

It sounds like it's worth it to have it, I can't really say if it's worth the money.

Ghost729

How much is screen tearing worth to you? I've always been a budget gamer and it hasn't bothered me.

According to Linus, screen tearing is most perceptible at lower fps (below 60, I think).

ponder

Honorary Master
How much is screen tearing worth to you? I've always been a budget gamer and it hasn't bothered me.

According to Linus, screen tearing is most perceptible at lower fps (below 60, I think).

It's not much of an issue at high frame rates.

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member

Gsync creating input lag? What gsync monitor did you use that gave you input lag?

GreatWmR

Expert Member

apparently i don't notice it, my friend keeps telling me my screen tears but i don't see anything wrong, maybe i need new glasses or he was bull shitting me

ponder

Honorary Master
apparently i don't notice it, my friend keeps telling me my screen tears but i don't see anything wrong, maybe i need new glasses or he was bull shitting me

If you dont notice it then you dont really need to pay the premium for gsync. Try and keep your fps high though.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member

It will depend on the game as well. I usually play with Vsync off, but Wolfenstein the Old Blood tore like a mofo.

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
According to the tests you've posted there is minimal delay, something your eye will never notice when it comes to gsync vs vsync off and no fps limit. If you watch the video posted above you'll see it's 1-3ms.
If you dont notice it then you dont really need to pay the premium for gsync. Try and keep your fps high though.
And this is where gsync shines. Games that are graphical heavy will benefit from gsync. Throw any graphical heavy game with high settings running at 1440p or 4k where a 1080ti only achieves let's say 55-90 fps, gsync will give you a much smoother and enjoyable experience. If you're only playing CS or any other game that can push 200-300fps with a medium specced card, you don't need gsync.

GreatWmR

Expert Member
Thanks for the help and advice guys i think ill postpone getting a new monitor till better deals show up, gsynch might not be the best option for me, maybe when black Friday rolls around

ponder

Honorary Master
According to the tests you've posted there is minimal delay, something your eye will never notice when it comes to gsync vs vsync off and no fps limit. If you watch the video posted above you'll see it's 1-3ms. And this is where gsync shines.

Input lag is not something you see, it affects how how responsive the game feels and most noticeable in fps games.

Ghost729

So why pay for G-sync at all if you can't see the tearing?

Thanks for the help and advice guys i think ill postpone getting a new monitor till better deals show up, gsynch might not be the best option for me, maybe when black Friday rolls around
Freesync monitors don't come at a premium, but because Nvidia are a.holes (who currentlymake the best GPUs), licencing fees really push up the cost of g-sync monitors. So unless G-sync its going to be worth it for you, I'd say invest the extra money you'd spend on G-sync elsewhere.