New MTN Fixed LTE SIM's from Axxess

Mobus

I've been looking at getting this for my parents and I think that I have the optimum solution.

Pay the R999 upfront plus R50 extra for the first 6 months.

Then 'downgrade' to the sim only option at R50 less per month.

It adds up to R 1 299 for the router, which isn't bad.

Am I correct in thinking that can work? Also, does it have to be 6 full months, what happens if I start in the middle of a month?
Yeah, sort of. As far as I know the R50pm "device fee" doesn't automatically fall away like on cellphone contracts. I have been told you have to cancel, then apply for a new sim-only deal. This may lead to some downtime or over-paying as you have to give notice to cancel at month-end and order the new sim 9 days before you want a reconnection (maybe less if you stay in a metro). If you order the new sim around the 21st of the cancellation month, you will pay pro-rata ~30% of the monthly sub. At least then 30% of the new sim's data will roll-over into the new month.

I guess it would have to be 6 full months, but you can verify after sign-up. You can schedule the cancellation on the online dashboard. It gives you a drop-down box to choose at which month-end to cancel, showing a device cancellation fee for the relevant months.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Yeah, sort of. As far as I know the R50pm "device fee" doesn't automatically fall away like on cellphone contracts. I have been told you have to cancel, then apply for a new sim-only deal. This may lead to some downtime or over-paying as you have to give notice to cancel at month-end and order the new sim 9 days before you want a reconnection (maybe less if you stay in a metro). If you order the new sim around the 21st of the cancellation month, you will pay pro-rata ~30% of the monthly sub. At least then 30% of the new sim's data will roll-over into the new month.

I guess it would have to be 6 full months, but you can verify after sign-up. You can schedule the cancellation on the online dashboard. It gives you a drop-down box to choose at which month-end to cancel, showing a device cancellation fee for the relevant months.
Thanks for that. It's a disappointingly complicated process. I was hoping for a simple 'downgrade' from device to sim only.

Mobus

Thanks for that. It's a disappointingly complicated process. I was hoping for a simple 'downgrade' from device to sim only.
If you are lucky, you might be able to get the callcentre to do the downgrade for you after six months. Worth a try.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Oh be careful. I think there is some fine print that says that because data monitoring is done by the network provider, the data usage update to Axxess' systems may sometimes be delayed but that any "overrun" above your cap will be deducted from the next month's allocation. I've had it happen a few times. Usually only a few 100mb's though. Then they hard cut to 0mbps (as soon as the updated usage reflects on their side).
It was fine, it's just how they are doing the maths.

However, something to watch out for:

I had scheduled about 50gb of night time downloads for early morning on the 1st February. I checked at about 2am how my downloads were going, and they were chugging along nicely.

Then I checked the Axxess portal, and noticed that I hadn't been allocated the February night time data yet. So the 20gb I had downloaded so far had come out of my anytime data. So I stopped my downloads.

So I took a screenshot, and told them about the issue on a ticket. They allocated the night time data a few hours later, but i noticed today that I was 20gb short on my anytime data. So they didn't "correct" the incorrect allocation usage.

I reopened the ticket and ask them to fix it. So they transferred my usage from any time to night time, and all is ok.

Just be warned that this might happen beginning of every month

Reactions: Yuu

Mobus

It was fine, it's just how they are doing the maths.

However, something to watch out for:

I had scheduled about 50gb of night time downloads for early morning on the 1st February. I checked at about 2am how my downloads were going, and they were chugging along nicely.

Then I checked the Axxess portal, and noticed that I hadn't been allocated the February night time data yet. So the 20gb I had downloaded so far had come out of my anytime data. So I stopped my downloads.

So I took a screenshot, and told them about the issue on a ticket. They allocated the night time data a few hours later, but i noticed today that I was 20gb short on my anytime data. So they didn't "correct" the incorrect allocation usage.

I reopened the ticket and ask them to fix it. So they transferred my usage from any time to night time, and all is ok.

Just be warned that this might happen beginning of every month
Ah thanks. Its my first month of having night data this Feb. They didn't allocate my night data right away either. I checked yesterday 0 Mb, today 100 Gb. Hopefully its only a growing pain inherited from the Cell C offering.

technofool

Can somebody please confirm if the Axxess ZTE 286C router has an rj11 socket and VoLTE feature?
I want to plug an old analog phone into the router for Freshphone voip service. The ZTE 286C picture on the Afrihost page has no rj11 phone ports and the Huawei B525 from Webafrica I tested has the VoLTE disabled in firmware.
Axxess website says nothing about voip capabilities.

Last edited:

Mobus

Can somebody please confirm if the Axxess ZTE 286C router has an rj11 socket and VoLTE feature?
I want to plug an old analog phone into the router for Freshphone voip service. The ZTE 286C picture on the Afrihost page has no rj11 phone ports and the Huawei B525 from Webafrica I tested has the VoLTE disabled in firmware.
Wait... am I missing something? Isn't volte a carrier service? Wouldn't a third party VoIP service simply run as a standard data service over lte?

carnagelan

Axxess and afrihost use the same routers. I have the 286c from Axxess and it doesn't. This is very limited and I think the router is a load of kak.

technofool

Axxess and afrihost use the same routers. I have the 286c from Axxess and it doesn't. This is very limited and I think the router is a load of kak.
Aaaargh just what I dreaded. Amazing how confusing the marketing of one router can be made when different ISPs slice and dice the same router until it is unrecognizable. Battery or not, firmware feature or not, hardware ports or not.

carnagelan

Aaaargh just what I dreaded. Amazing how confusing the marketing of one router can be made when different ISPs slice and dice the same router until it is unrecognizable. Battery or not, firmware feature or not, hardware ports or not.
This version doesn't have the battery. You can only auto check for updates and not manually install an update. I am just waiting for cash then going to purchase a different 5g router

Mobus

Ugh. Anyone else with incorrect data usage monitoring? I logged into the dashboard today only to find I have only 5gb left with 45gb used but also all 100+100gb used ??? I log a call via online chat and the call centre only to also have the remaining 5gb to dissappear. Guess who does't have internet for the weekend!