New MTN Fixed LTE SIM's from Axxess

Mobus

Argh anyone else despise the B525?

I ran two 2Ghz access point on it. The one is for my tenant and the other my own network with a few devices on it. I get terrible ping spikes while gaming in the evenings. I thought this was because my SO was streaming netflix but even if I kick all devices but myself off the network its still bad. Better but not good enough. Went back to my old WNDR3800 and connected the B525 as approved "modem" on WAN port of the WNDR3800. Runs like a dream. I can game and stream (perhaps even two SD streams) at the same time.

BTW I run OpenWRT / ROOter firmware without SQM or QoS on the WNDR3800.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Please give us feedback on how supersonic is, I'm considering this switch as well.
Here you go:

Axxess is a joke. Supersonic FTW.
*EDIT* Supersonic is a joke... see this thread: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/supersonic-anytime-data-rollover.1082138/#post-25434853

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Argh anyone else despise the B525?

I ran two 2Ghz access point on it. The one is for my tenant and the other my own network with a few devices on it. I get terrible ping spikes while gaming in the evenings. I thought this was because my SO was streaming netflix but even if I kick all devices but myself off the network its still bad. Better but not good enough. Went back to my old WNDR3800 and connected the B525 as approved "modem" on WAN port of the WNDR3800. Runs like a dream. I can game and stream (perhaps even two SD streams) at the same time.

BTW I run OpenWRT / ROOter firmware without SQM or QoS on the WNDR3800.
Does the WNDR3800 do 5Ghz?

Mobus

Does the WNDR3800 do 5Ghz?
Yup. 802.11n with 2 and 5Ghz. It was a "premium" router in its day and its still going strong. OpenWRT FTW. Its not 802.11ac but I don't mind. My current bottleneck is upstream on 4G. I tested gaming on the WNDR3800 some time a go, comparing wifi and wired gbit lan. Made no discernible difference in csgo ping.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Yup. 802.11n with 2 and 5Ghz. It was a "premium" router in its day and its still going strong. OpenWRT FTW. Its not 802.11ac but I don't mind. My current bottleneck is upstream on 4G. I tested gaming on the WNDR3800 some time a go, comparing wifi and wired gbit lan. Made no discernible difference in csgo ping.
I suspect the 2ghz on the other router is the bottleneck, especially if you have multiple wireless devices.

Mobus

I suspect the 2ghz on the other router is the bottleneck, especially if you have multiple wireless devices.
Hmm. Not sure. I suspect the B525 is maybe CPU throttling. Perhaps it struggles with the overheads of two 2Ghz networks (mine and the guest network). As I said, even with just 1 device connected (1 on my home network, none of guest) I still had ping issues. Not as much or often but still. At first I thought maybe my pc is doing something dodgy in the background, but since I went back to the WNDR its no longer an issue. And I almost use the 2GHz band on the WNDR exclusively as well (for range is just better).

Daruk

Honorary Master
Hmm. Not sure. I suspect the B525 is maybe CPU throttling. Perhaps it struggles with the overheads of two 2Ghz networks (mine and the guest network). As I said, even with just 1 device connected (1 on my home network, none of guest) I still had ping issues. Not as much or often but still. At first I thought maybe my pc is doing something dodgy in the background, but since I went back to the WNDR its no longer an issue. And I almost use the 2GHz band on the WNDR exclusively as well (for range is just better).
Definitely sounds like it's good for handling basic traffic but not routing. Weird.

Mobus

Definitely sounds like it's good for handling basic traffic but not routing. Weird.
Maybe its my neighbour welding or microwave cooking in the evenings and the WNDR is better at auto-tuning the wifi band :p

attreewr

Been waiting a week for Axxess to get the sim activated.
Takes 2 days to get a response from support, then another 2 for them to ask the same question again!!
The live chat is useless, just end it when they don't have answers !!
Some of the notoriously bad operators actually looking good next to this crown now!!

Daruk

Honorary Master
Been waiting a week for Axxess to get the sim activated.
Takes 2 days to get a response from support, then another 2 for them to ask the same question again!!
The live chat is useless, just end it when they don't have answers !!
Some of the notoriously bad operators actually looking good next to this crown now!!
Had the same experience, just not as long. Sorry for your hassle. I kicked Axxess into touch after two months. My Supersonic SIM came already provisioned. I've had other issues with supersonic but that wasn't one.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
It does take time - if you read through my trails and tribulations from 1 December. However last weekend it was running rock solid.

Daruk

Honorary Master
With Supersonic I was at least able to sort an issue out over their WhatsApp channel while away from home... Texting my wife and texting them I managed to get her to factory reset the router and got it up and running again. Even if they don't have the answer there's something about having a person on the other end of a comms channel that goes a long way ...

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I know Axxess lets you play the waiting game, but in the end it paid off very well for me.

charlieb

I am considering changing to MTN Fixed LTE. Once you receive the SIM, how long after you get it up and running do you have to find the best tower to connect to before you are locked onto that tower?

Mobus

Its instantaneous. The first one you connect to. Thats it. You can connect to a second tower / location and test the signal but you will be kicked off within minutes to a few hours if you are lucky.

Worst is, if you go back to the first location you willl still be blocked. You then have to log a call to be unblocked - and you cant unblock too often either (in theory once a year)