New Netflix and Showmax competitor confirmed for SA

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This time officially confirmed ;) Yesterday they did not provide comment - it was based on sources.

Looking forward to Part 3, when it will be launched. :)

dualmeister

Honorary Master
PCCW is a stupid name IMO.

Something more descriptive would be better e.g. Netflix, Showmax ...

Munch

Tried showmax free trail on my media pc. The web interface is quite slow. Streaming stutters. This is not network lag but cpu lag since the atom cpu cannot cope since it does not use my Asus EEEbox's hardware decoding. It plays fine(other issues) on my other pc's however it needs to run on the media pc.
Also since the interface is web based I doubt it will work with my MCE remote control.
On my other pc's there is no CPU lag but sometimes the screen will corrupt(go half green) and freeze. I could not make it through 20 minutes on a single episode of their rubbish free content. Also the controls of the video player were missing at first and the few visible ones were totally misplaced. I had to clear cache to make it work.

I also tried Vidi 7 day trail. It is also slow on my media pc, suffers from CPU lag due to lack of hardware decoding and does not support MCE remotes. Otherwise it seems more robust than Showmax.

Unfortunately I wont be using these streaming services due to these problems.

I am on a 10Mbit ADSL connection.

JustAsk

Expert Member
A friend told me its vuclip on vodacom. For content it allegedly has lots of wwe crap.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Tried showmax free trail on my media pc. The web interface is quite slow. Streaming stutters. This is not network lag but cpu lag since the atom cpu cannot cope since it does not use my Asus EEEbox's hardware decoding. It plays fine(other issues) on my other pc's however it needs to run on the media pc.
Also since the interface is web based I doubt it will work with my MCE remote control.
On my other pc's there is no CPU lag but sometimes the screen will corrupt(go half green) and freeze. I could not make it through 20 minutes on a single episode of their rubbish free content. Also the controls of the video player were missing at first and the few visible ones were totally misplaced. I had to clear cache to make it work.

I also tried Vidi 7 day trail. It is also slow on my media pc, suffers from CPU lag due to lack of hardware decoding and does not support MCE remotes. Otherwise it seems more robust than Showmax.

Unfortunately I wont be using these streaming services due to these problems.

I am on a 10Mbit ADSL connection.

Media PC should be AMD based... That's your issue.

Electric

Honorary Master
How can they put Showmax in the same sentence as Netflix?
Just because it's video on demand does not mean they are remotely comparable.

Necuno

Court Jester

Munch

Media PC should be AMD based... That's your issue.

To be fair the pc is quite old but 100% functional and fast when using apps like plex media player or Kodi(xbmc) using < 10% CPU while playing full HD video because it uses the hardware decoding. Streaming youtube at full HD used to work when they steam H.264 because it has a hardware decoder for that but since youtube switched to webm streaming over html5 that too stutters. What I like about the media pc is it is a small nettop with remote control.

I guess I will have to upgrade at some point.