New Netflix competitor will have 5 sports channels in South Africa

Messugga

Honorary Master
I'm only seeing sports news? I'm doubtful that they'll have F1, boxing, MMA, etc.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
Not going to be anything we want to watch because MultiChoice still hold distribution rights to most of it.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
They wont be able to get rights to the sport most people want to watch sadly.
Another downfall of most of these services is that they dont have clients for some streaming devices like Apple Tv, Roku etc which is a deal breaker for me.

Joe Average

Not going to be anything we want to watch because MultiChoice still hold distribution rights to most of it.

Yup, the monopoly is as strong as ever. As long as live broadcast rights are not taken away or shared for sport events like SupeRugby, F1, IPL cricket, International Soccer, etc. there would be no competition to MultiChoice.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
DSN will give South African sports fans daily news and events highlights from mainstream and niche sports around the world.
do_not_want_26.jpg

Peon

Expert Member
Ok, so lets get this straight and simple. You want me to pay R200 for stuff I dont want to watch? I appreciate that racing Moose in Alaska might be a sport but I might want to watch it live. Who knows maybe one of them takes a dump on air while running.

So you launching a "sports" package in a country whose most popular codes include Rugby, Cricket and Soccer. But you will not stream any of them live for various reasons?

I think you fellas have been smoking the happy pipe in the office and all agreed with each other.

klipdrifter

Don't get excited. The sport channels will not have any sports most South Africans want to watch, unless it is delayed with a few hours from the actual event...

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Ok, so lets get this straight and simple. You want me to pay R200 for stuff I dont want to watch? I appreciate that racing Moose in Alaska might be a sport but I might want to watch it live. Who knows maybe one of them takes a dump on air while running.

So you launching a "sports" package in a country whose most popular codes include Rugby, Cricket and Soccer. But you will not stream any of them live for various reasons?

I think you fellas have been smoking the happy pipe in the office and all agreed with each other.

2 reasons...exclusive rights belong to someone else at the moment AND even if the rights were up for auction tomorrow, they couldn't afford it. Multichoice have pockets deeper than anyone else.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

Not only that but they produce much of it. I doubt many fully realise the resources that go into broadcasting a single Super Rugby match here in SA, let alone broadcasting all of them over the course of a weekend.