New Online Shop - Complete Noob, Please help :(

ronald911

Expert Member
Good day,

Let me start of by saying i'm an absolute noob regarding this. I have watched a few you-tube vids and to be honest. Im a little lost. The thought of getting an actual web designer has crossed my mind at least 700 times the past week as I simply cannot believe its such a mission. The problem is I dont have money to waste and would prefer to do it myself.
A web designer wouldn't be much help either - they design with Photoshop.

Better get to get a developer if you don't wanna contemplate suicide dealing with WordPress.

But yeah, unless you have R30k-50k to invest, get something like Shopify to test your store and can make sales - that $29/m is nothing compared to what a developer will cost.

Rudolph101

Good day,

Let me start of by saying i'm an absolute noob regarding this. I have watched a few you-tube vids and to be honest. Im a little lost. The thought of getting an actual web designer has crossed my mind at least 700 times the past week as I simply cannot believe its such a mission. The problem is I dont have money to waste and would prefer to do it myself.

So knowing absolutely fckall about web-page development or web-page design I started watching a few videos to get a feel of it. Its would seem that WordPress is the way to go as you don't really need any webpage design experience.

So first it was said I have to register a domain name. I went to “registerdomainname.co.za” and I registered my domain.

Second I need to find a hosting partner. I could host from the guys above but saw Axxess has a 6 months free option. This already started getting confusing as there is so many options and I have absolutely no idea which one to pick. I decided to just take the xxs package as its free for 6 months and I can always upgrade to a better package if the need arises.

So this was my first mistake. As it seems like its an impossible task getting the domain moved to axxess. Its moved semi from what I can see, but nothing is working correctly. I updated the axxess name servers on “registerdomainname” and if I go to the page it takes me to an axxess landing page. The Support of registerdomainname” did tell me it takes 7 days before a new domain can be moved. I asked Axxess how to go about this but its seems like they can’t be bothered to respond, so I don’t know.

If I log into axxess and go to the control panel & install wordpress (which I did), But I am unable to make any changes when I log into the WP-admin thingy, When you try to customize anything it takes you to a blank page and just says loading. I tried from multiple browsers…. And I simply don’t know why and axxess support is non-existent. It might be something small but I simply don’t know. So I have really stripped my moer and decided to go elsewhere.

Last night I came across “GoDaddy”, On the one hand its amazing compared to the confusion to what is axxess. They have a “free trail” website builder and everything is just easy and simple. But the problem is, the youtube vidoes I watched on how to create an online store all shows there is supposed to be a “goDaddy online store” option on the builder which there is not. I don’t know if this is not available in SA??
So now my question, What are my options?, Where or what should I do? Can anyone recommend a easy to understand site?, It can even be complex as long as there is an adequate instruction manual or videos I can follow. Unlike Axxess where you have absolutely no idea what you are doing, nothing works, and there is no support to help you pinpoint the issue.

I really like the GoDaddy interface, What makes me a little hesitant is that there is not a lot of templates, there was +- 15 If I have to guess, and none of them was really appealing. I did however build a site in 30min which goes to show how easy it is. So i'm wondering If I actually register if more themes/templates will become available?, If so do we as SA have an option to create an online store via Godaddy website builder as per the videos?. For anyone familiar with GoDaddy, as per the videos there is an option where you update your products with prices and quantity etc, I cannot find or see this option.

Then again, there are so flippen many options it gives you a headache. They even have wordpress only options, Should I rather opt for this?

I want to start a basic online shop. There will be +- 10 categories with 5 ~ 10 products under each category.

Helps please……L

If this has been discussed before, Can someone please just point me to the thread?

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Hi Noob-Noob

Was wondering if you got your website up and running?
Nope, Well to be honest after all that I did not try again and focused on getting my products finalized first. Still busy with that, probably on 80% completion at this stage before I will start actively marketing, I did start a FB page in the meantime as most sales will probably happen via facebook and not the website in any case.