New phone scam warning in South Africa

noswal

Executive Member
This scam has been posted on this forum months ago. As above, people are stupid and makes me repeat the need for some sort of a licence to operate your computer.

Allin

Expert Member
This scam has been posted on this forum months ago. As above, people are stupid and makes me repeat the need for some sort of a licence to operate your computer.
My Afrikaans friends have a nice saying:
'As jy dom is gaan jy suffer'
Amen

zamicro

Expert Member
I were also wondering what is "New" about this scam...

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Not new,at least post recorded first instances so people know how stupid they are falling for old scams

damian24

My Afrikaans friends have a nice saying:
'As jy dom is gaan jy suffer'
Amen
problem is that IT Managers suffer as well for users that fall for this, someone tried to scam one of my users who prompt called and asked if it's okay because he needed a password (administrator) to continue...

D

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
problem is that IT Managers suffer as well for users that fall for this, someone tried to scam one of my users who prompt called and asked if it's okay because he needed a password (administrator) to continue...

D
said luser need a LART applied...

GforceD

Executive Member
Hmm, I actually had a woman phone me on my land-line the other day, said the call was regarding my laptop or computer.
So I asked her which because I either had both, one or the other or neither. She hung up!

Jester01

Have to agree, if you are dumb enough to fall for this you deserve to be scammed.

We are in the age of the computer, people should be more aware.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Is this still making the news! Next thing were going to see an article on 419 scams.

McGuywer

Executive Member
Microsoft were aware of the scam, saying it was not its policy to make phone calls of this kind to its customers.
Lol, phone calls that actually tries to repair/fix error messages.... From MS.... Not in my lifetime...

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
It's funny how people who have foiled these scammers think that they are sharp and clever. :D

g-star

It might be a few months old but seems of recent weeks it has happening much more often.

It's funny how people who have foiled these scammers think that they are sharp and clever. :D
I did it for the fun of it. Got a call last week. Wasted 20 minutes of the guys time. Got onto their head technician. Wasted about 5 minutes of his time till I got bored and told him I knew exactly what was going on. Wow the amount of swearing I got! couldn't stop laughing!!

'Sir there are options on your screen can you read them out' (expecting me to say 'allow access, cancel , ok etc from the app he made me instal'). I go 'my computer , recycle bin, my documents, which option must I click on?'

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
It might be a few months old but seems of recent weeks it has happening much more often.

I did it for the fun of it. Got a call last week. Wasted 20 minutes of the guys time. Got onto their head technician. Wasted about 5 minutes of his time till I got bored and told him I knew exactly what was going on. Wow the amount of swearing I got! couldn't stop laughing!!

'Sir there are options on your screen can you read them out' (expecting me to say 'allow access, cancel , ok etc from the app he made me instal'). I go 'my computer , recycle bin, my documents, which option must I click on?'
Hahaha. Funny, I never seem to get these types of calls. Maybe because I'm very careful with my cell number.

Prof.Merlin

Expert Member
Hope they call me. Willl confuse them when I say "I am not running windows. I have Linux"

DJ...

Banned
anyone that falls for this deserves to be fleeced
These sorts of comments are ridiculous. At what point does someone's naivety about a subject make them deserving of a scam? I'll guarantee you that your naivety about subjects relating to the financial market would make you an ideal candidate for a scam. Obviously you'd deserve to be fleeced to the hills, of course. By your logic?

What geeks like yourself forget is that what's common sense to you is subjective based on your experience. What's common sense to me is that there is a clear arbitrage opportunity in certain derivatives trades and this opens up the ability for me to bullschit the bejeezuz out of you with one simple phone call.

Stop being such a judgemental moron...