• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

New Plex android app: where is the ****ing library

Goobie

Expert Member
Why oh why would they fix something if it aint broke!

I have a folder system for movies and music on my media server that I access via plex on my phone by browsing the library.

The latest plex update is so counter intuitive, where the **** is the library now?

Goobie

Expert Member
There used to be the option to BROWSE, when selected it showed the individual folders as entered into the server. You can then select files in each folder.

Last edited:

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Why oh why would they fix something if it aint broke!

I have a folder system for movies and music on my media server that I access via plex on my phone by browsing the library.

The latest plex update is so counter intuitive, where the **** is the library now?
Select the media type from the bar at the bottom then you can select the source from the top dropdown menu.

You can also now customize your home screen by adding hubs like On Deck, Recently Added, etc from specific severs to your home screen.

Goobie

Expert Member
Select the media type from the bar at the bottom then you can select the source from the top dropdown menu.

You can also now customize your home screen by adding hubs like On Deck, Recently Added, etc from specific severs to your home screen.
Ooooooh I see. Thank you

dennis.se.foon

Custom media folders/libraries can not be accessed at all on the new app. For example, I have a "music videos" library with folders for classical music, oldies, pop, etc. The only way to get to a music video is to search for the file by name. It is not possible to browse the library.

This issue has been raised by numerous users on the plex website, but there is no solution. I have reverted to the v16.7.xx android app, while waiting for a decent update

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Custom media folders/libraries can not be accessed at all on the new app. For example, I have a "music videos" library with folders for classical music, oldies, pop, etc. The only way to get to a music video is to search for the file by name. It is not possible to browse the library.

This issue has been raised by numerous users on the plex website, but there is no solution. I have reverted to the v16.7.xx android app, while waiting for a decent update
I'm not sure I entirely understand the issue. Are the music videos in an "Other Videos" type library? How did you access them with the previous version of the app?

dennis.se.foon

I'm not sure I entirely understand the issue. Are the music videos in an "Other Videos" type library? How did you access them with the previous version of the app?
I have 2 "other videos" libraries. The new app only allows access to the first one. Second and subsequent libraries are not accessible.

In the previous app version, the menu on top left (the 3 bars) provided access to all libraries.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I have 2 "other videos" libraries. The new app only allows access to the first one. Second and subsequent libraries are not accessible.

In the previous app version, the menu on top left (the 3 bars) provided access to all libraries.
Huh, that's strange. I can see all my "Other Video" libraries.

When you say it's not accessible, does it show up in the list and you get an error when selecting it or does it just not show at all in the list?

Also, is there a forum post from plex.tv site you could point me to where this is being discussed so I can take a look at the other people that have this problem?

dennis.se.foon

When you say it's not accessible, does it show up in the list and you get an error when selecting it or does it just not show at all in the list?

Also, is there a forum post from plex.tv site you could point me to where this is being discussed so I can take a look at the other people that have this problem?

The android app is being discussed on this forum thread. The problems with custom libraries are discussed towards the bottom of Page 2 and continue on page 3. Note that I have no issue at all with the layout of the new app. My problem is that I can only access one "other video library". My second library is not shown at all. However, if I search for a video by name, it shows up in the search results and it does play.

The v7.0.4 android app does not resolve this issue. V6.xx works fine.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/322412/plex-changed-do-not-update-plex-app-on-android/p3

There are reports that the ios app is having similar issues:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/324033/missing-library-on-latest-plex-app forum.

An unrelated problem is that the Samsung tv app can no longer delete files, after the recent Plex server update. I now have to periodically go through the "recently watched" list per library to delete content that was watched on the tv. This is being discussed here.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/321955/unable-to-delete-media-when-using-samsung-tv-plex-app

It would be great if you have access to the people who can resolve these issues

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
The android app is being discussed on this forum thread. The problems with custom libraries are discussed towards the bottom of Page 2 and continue on page 3. Note that I have no issue at all with the layout of the new app. My problem is that I can only access one "other video library". My second library is not shown at all. However, if I search for a video by name, it shows up in the search results and it does play.

The v7.0.4 android app does not resolve this issue. V6.xx works fine.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/322412/plex-changed-do-not-update-plex-app-on-android/p3

There are reports that the ios app is having similar issues:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/324033/missing-library-on-latest-plex-app forum.

An unrelated problem is that the Samsung tv app can no longer delete files, after the recent Plex server update. I now have to periodically go through the "recently watched" list per library to delete content that was watched on the tv. This is being discussed here.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/321955/unable-to-delete-media-when-using-samsung-tv-plex-app

It would be great if you have access to the people who can resolve these issues
Thanks for the info, so if I understand correctly you're not seeing the little dropdown arrow next to the library name like in this example (after "Photos (Martin Family)"):

I don't personally work on the Android app but I can find out if they're aware of this particular issue.

dennis.se.foon

Thanks for the info, so if I understand correctly you're not seeing the little dropdown arrow next to the library name like in this example (after "Photos (Martin Family)"):

I don't personally work on the Android app but I can find out if they're aware of this particular issue.
Ah. Your picture gave me a clue. I did some checking and the arrow under "movies" shows my movies folder and one of my "other videos" folders.

If I click on "more" on the bottom right-hand side of the screen, the second "other videos" folder is available there. That's a confusing approach, but thanks a ton for your help.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Ah. Your picture gave me a clue. I did some checking and the arrow under "movies" shows my movies folder and one of my "other videos" folders.
Hmm, that shouldn't happen (although I've seen stranger issues). Are you sure the library type for your Music Videos library is "Other Videos" and not "Movies"?

You can check by editing the library in the web client, it'll show the list of types like so:

dennis.se.foon

Hmm, that shouldn't happen (although I've seen stranger issues). Are you sure the library type for your Music Videos library is "Other Videos" and not "Movies"?

You can check by editing the library in the web client, it'll show the list of types like so:

I'll check that when I am at the pc. Thanks again for your help