New property. Telkom say no ADSL for 3 months (!). So I need 3G. Best (not cheapest)

arthurmild

Hi Guys,

Just learned that the new house I will be renting has no telkom line (although next door has). Telkom told me that it will take 3 months to install ADSL because it is a 'project' - wtf? - lets not get distracted by that for now

I need to select a 3G provider within the next two weeks. I am brand new to the service concept and have little time to review all the options from scratch. I'm hoping you people can help me cut through the crap.

Reliability and good support are more important to me than cost

I chow between 3 and 7Gb per month currently, although could limit to around 4Gb with effort.

I have a cheapo phone on pay as you go with MTN right now - a phone that can pick up e-mail (cheaply) would be good too.

What provider/package would you recommend?

Thanks

Steve

PS Sure I could get ADSL in my new place quicker (having read Lawrences guide Stickie here) and will give it a try but I might not be lucky and anyway will need back up to access web when ADSL goes down (as it has 4 times in the last week here).

Surely a warning from the future ....

portcullis

Cape Connect Internet Rep
Company Rep
3G isn't a cheap option.

Look at which WISPs operate in your area. Also look at getting Telkom to give you WiMax.

XeroS1x

3G is not cheap, although, some ISP's such as G-Connect offer fairly good prices per mb. You could perhaps look at getting a Neotel service or iBurst.

G-connect

McCrazieGoalz

Expert Member
You said within the next 2 weeks?

Well. I have read on this site that Cell C will be releasing a R999/yr wireless modem with 2GB of bandwidth per month. I am sure you can topup the bandwidth at a similarly affordable price.

The article said that Cell C will be releasing this offer on the 20th or 21st of this month (August 2010).

Further, the connection will be a 7.2mbps HSPA+ which is the latest fastest connection and Cell C spent about R5billion on upgrading their system for it.

With a 7.2mbps, wireless connection which works out to R83.25/month for 2GB monthly, and a possible option of affordable topup. This could be a revolutionary offer and most apporpriate for you.

arthurmild

Thanks everyone for these replies.

A friend mentioned Cell C too, and this seems attractive - (either an example of the market changing or too good to be true ?)

I had never heard of WiMax so will have a chat to Telkom about this as a possibility.

Didn't know either that I could apply for a WISP as an individual (as opposed to a coffee shop) - Unfortunately the new place is in Noordhoek so perhaps no coverage there - although will look around.

Will let you know what happens...

Steve

HideInLight

Expert Member
I got no ADSL for 3 years...

Question is what's your monthly limit and what do you use the internet for mostly, do you play games online etc?

Last edited:

arthurmild

from OP
I chow between 3 and 7Gb per month currently, although could limit to around 4Gb with effort.

Checked out Cell C ( upcoming ) offer at the weekend

R1000 per year for 2Gb / month

R2000 per year for 5gb / month.

They could not give me any costs for top up.

Steve

I am Penguin

Executive Member
To be launched in PE soon, then up from the South and in a few weeks up to PTA. Cannot wait!

Bye Bye Telscum!

Clint-0

@Arthurmild - i know how u feel buddy, i moved into my new home a year ago and Telkom has still not installed a line let alone dsl... They keep telling me the application for new line is with the planning department...lol