New proposals for when the lockdown is over – No restaurants, bars, or sports

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
New proposals for when the lockdown is over – No restaurants, bars, or sports

The South African government has proposed to keep a range of restrictions in place once the lockdown ends, according to a presentation published on the SATSA website.

The government presentation detailed the “risk-adjusted strategy for economic activity” in South Africa, adding that there are “serious risks” to lifting lockdown restrictions too quickly and in a disorderly manner.

phly

Expert Member
Lockdown sounds better - This is a peek, peep even - into normalcy and then push head back in again.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
No ****, Sherlock. We want to open the economy without relaxing too many lockdown measures. Opening take-away would be great, but our lot is not known for complying with hygiene standards. You just need one idiot coming in sick and handling food without proper care, and you have a new cluster.

SilverCode

Can't they just take the 500 Billion monopoly money and buy VR Systems for all citizens and then we can all just live in a virtual world safely at home. Feed people a cheap but nutritious meal through pipes.
I'm down for this

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Makes sense, would get behind this.

However the issue will be:

SA businesses like their micro-management just as much as the current command council. This will need to be enforced somehow.

I think many large corporates have had to suck it up and deal with work from home stuff.... and many are finding it can work... I think old school managers are going to fall by the wayside in this.

The issue is manufacturing and such, where its impossible to work from home....

Napalm

Expert Member
The problem i see is this. No use having takeaways open and normal retails shops... if you yourself is not back at work earning the normal salary again. (i know of alot of company's only paying 40% or some only UIF money right now)

So whats the use of paying so much money for take-away... when most of the people can't afford it. It's not like you can open Tech shops and Clothing places and Entertainment areas... if people can hardly pay their rent and food or cellphone bills after the rent.

You have to stay @ home and be able to eat healthy food. No luxury's i'm afraid .

Unless you got some hidden moneys or spare for luxury's and able to still cope for next 3months with minimal salary. I would not advise any of those stores to open. As they are not essential to living. Buying R80 and R90 meals is not worth it... rather make your own chicken of beef meals at home, you could probably feed 3 to 4 people with same money.

smc

Actually that makes reasonable sense. To my amazement, I must admit, given the clown show so far. You can argue about the details of the levels, and whether a lockdown is in fact helpful at all, but at least this system allows economic activity to resume. And seems to get rid of the really irrational lockdown regulations such as no alcohol sales, etc, etc.

But, as ever, we will have to wait for "the other shoe to fall". Bheki Cele's paranoid fantasies still have to factored in.

daveza

Honorary Master
Nkosasana-Zuma has said winter clothing and stationery must be available to purchase.

That means stationery and clothing shops will open - all of them.

Fargle

No ****, Sherlock. We want to open the economy without relaxing too many lockdown measures. Opening take-away would be great, but our lot is not known for complying with hygiene standards. You just need one idiot coming in sick and handling food without proper care, and you have a new cluster.
Yes, God knows we can't afford to lose another 58 people...

3WA

Honorary Master
Can't they just take the 500 Billion monopoly money and buy VR Systems for all citizens and then we can all just live in a virtual world safely at home. Feed people a cheap but nutritious meal through pipes.

HR didn't cover that scenario in my sexual harrasment training.

Napalm

Expert Member
Nkosasana-Zuma has said winter clothing and stationery must be available to purchase.

That means stationery and clothing shops will open - all of them.
I guess, the clothing they already have is not warm enough?

Buying winter clothing will keep them warm outside. Having no money to buy food will hopefully keep them warm from the inside..

Paying R450 for a stylish jersey vs being fed for a week , cooking your own food with essential items. (basic things like chicken or sausage, some beans and rice and a veg on the side)