New Rain uncapped 4G package launched

kabusi

Expert Member
I'm getting 720p on my off peak sim it maybe a case that your tower is congested. Although I've been getting sub 1mb speeds recently until I moved the router to a window facing the direction of the tower. I'm getting between 6 - 12mb now. There's a thread on this forum showing how you can find the nearest rain tower.
Thanks have tried the moving around trick but worth a shot again.
Incidently, I was able to run a speed test during peak hours (although I am not on the 24/7 plan) and was getting between 6-9Mbps last night. Same spot same tower. I couldnt test the streaming obviously.
They need to shape those buggers who are affecting it for everyone.
I am nervous to upgrade since I do not see the downgrade back to the R250 option if I find it unusable at night. Anyone know if this just means logging it with support?
Mainly using it for web browsing now and downloads and want it for the lockdown to try to work from home.

Gomtor

Does anyone know if there is a FUP on this package. I dont want to get my sim blocked after a week of use.

Crumbl0x

it's great that we have a number at least, but given that it's lockdown period and that user probably went on an all out crusade as opposed to only in the lowest peak hours (could stretch 3TB over 120 hours by 5 hour sessions over 24 days @ assumed 60Mbps) they might not have cut that user off, but who knows hehe

TheRealRaspeggi

Because everybody streams these days. It's the streaming era. One thing guaranteed to cause congestion and slowdown these days is YouTube over torrents.
If you think a wireless internet service is applicable for streaming then you are mistaken. i don't really mind what everybody is doing this service is not meant to be hammered by high-bandwidth whales ruining it for everybody else.

I'm currently living in a shared acommadation setup and this seems like an excellent way to get internet for myself.

I would just hope I can get a few games of hearthstone in in the evening and have a pleasant work-from-home experience during the day. if i can get that for under R500 p/m it would be more than fine.

Last edited:

extrusion

So, from my usage it is getting worse and worse by the day. Started out great, today was 95% unusable. Can't even resolve hostnames. This is in Pretoria, Moreleta Park area. How are your 4G 24/7 uncapped services holding up ?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
So, from my usage it is getting worse and worse by the day. Started out great, today was 95% unusable. Can't even resolve hostnames. This is in Pretoria, Moreleta Park area. How are your 4G 24/7 uncapped services holding up ?
All good make sure you using 1.1.1.1 as dns server .

extrusion

All good make sure you using 1.1.1.1 as dns server .
I am. Tested constantly, with and without. Unusable. Although from the 6 o clock mark now everything seems smooth.. Guess the R250 package guys are trying to download the internet.

Reactions: JoE

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
It's all good here. Just the youtube and netflix 360p quality I'm getting lately is grinding my gears. Hopefully getting fibre in the next day or two then I'm kissing Rain uncapped goodbye.

JoE

Mine has been working fine apart from last night where it seemed rain went offline for everybody. Using the 24/7 sim purely for gaming has been perfect for me.

Alternating the 19 hour and my ADSL (I’ve given up hope of getting fibre) to make sure the family at home doesn’t have any issues streaming during lockdown. I’m not or have never abused the service and I’ve not seen my speeds affected in the least.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Mine has been working fine apart from last night where it seemed rain went offline for everybody. Using the 24/7 sim purely for gaming has been perfect for me.

Alternating the 19 hour and my ADSL (I’ve given up hope of getting fibre) to make sure the family at home doesn’t have any issues streaming during lockdown. I’m not or have never abused the service and I’ve not seen my speeds affected in the least.
Hanging on to my ADSL, for as long as possible. When Takealot get to deliver my B618, I will be ready for alternative connectivity, and will get a Rain SIM, going forward. No prospects of getting fiber anytime soon.

JoE

Hanging on to my ADSL, for as long as possible. When Takealot get to deliver my B618, I will be ready for alternative connectivity, and will get a Rain SIM, going forward. No prospects of getting fiber anytime soon.
Still running dual B315s on my end. The hope is that rain 5G comes this year then I’ll move to their R999 deal and cancel telkom and other sims. Once I’m satisfied it’s working.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Still running dual B315s on my end. The hope is that rain 5G comes this year then I’ll move to their R999 deal and cancel telkom and other sims. Once I’m satisfied it’s working.
Don't have any great expectations that 5G will arrive anytime soon either. But if it does, will go with it.

JoE

So after some use during lockdown the 24/7 sim seems to be showing its weakness. My hope was that with the limitation they would ensure that this product (the more expensive of the two) will receive the priority bandwidth ensuring a consistent speed around the 10mbps.

Instead during the day it seems this one struggles to get more than 2mbps whereas my 19 hour sim (exact same router model and location) is flying over 15mbps easily whilst the 24/7 sim.

I really wish that they would just merge the two for me, 19 hours as is and throttled to the 10mb during peak hours on a single sim. I’d even pay more for the convenience.