New rules for COVID-19 hand sanitisers in South Africa explained

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

The South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) recently amended the national standard for alcohol-based hand rubs and sanitisers for use in curbing the spread of COVID-19 in the country.

The amended South African National Standard (SANS) 490 was first published in October 2020 and is currently available on the SABS website. It has superseded a previous version of the standard from 2013.

“These changes have been driven by global guidelines such as the requirements specified by the World Health Organisation and locally by the South African Health Products Regulatory Authority (SAHPRA) in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic,” SABS stated.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

The South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) recently amended the national standard for alcohol-based hand rubs and sanitisers for use in curbing the spread of COVID-19 in the country.

The amended South African National Standard (SANS) 490 was first published in October 2020 and is currently available on the SABS website. It has superseded a previous version of the standard from 2013.

“These changes have been driven by global guidelines such as the requirements specified by the World Health Organisation and locally by the South African Health Products Regulatory Authority (SAHPRA) in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic,” SABS stated.
@Hanno Labuschagne - Other ingredients like...?

• Minimum of 60% alcohol content if there are other active ingredients, like

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member

minimum requirement: wash your hands :unsure:

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Most places have been watering their hand santiser down for a while now, you can tell by the texture and how long it stays wet.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
I got a container of black sheep-dip at work that I use to wash hands. It smells better than dettol or hand sanitiser.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
I got a container of black sheep-dip at work that I use to wash hands. It smells better than dettol or hand sanitiser.
Yeah, I have my own in my car for when I return from the shop and then another one at home for surface clean (for I got at the shops) and handwash. Overkill?

Mekon

Expert Member
Government spending on sanitisers also came under the spotlight earlier this year when Rapport newspaper reported that Johannesburg’s City Power had paid R158,700 for 46 small bottles of sanitisers, which worked out to R3,450 each.

Typical of the vile dog excrement that think they can run this country. Viva cANCer viva.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
They must also make it not smell like arse, some really do, or freaking sour...

Danie_V

This is desperately needed, as is similar standards and labelling for masks. I've been really sub-standard descriptions and any form of standards on Takealot's site, so much, so I just had to dispose of one purchase of masks. Too many people are taking advantage, and risking our health, over sub-standard Covid-19 equipment.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Interesting that Detol is not listed...
It's main ingredient looks to be mainly aimed at bacteria. Makes sense given the intended use.

Most places have been watering their hand santiser down for a while now, you can tell by the texture and how long it stays wet.
Less skin irritation then.

This is desperately needed, as is similar standards and labelling for masks. I've been really sub-standard descriptions and any form of standards on Takealot's site, so much, so I just had to dispose of one purchase of masks. Too many people are taking advantage, and risking our health, over sub-standard Covid-19 equipment.
There already are for pre-existing types of masks. For cloth masks standards seem fairly unlikely.

boboudts

Surgical Spirits (70% Alcohol) from your Pharmacy works just fine and won’t cost R 59,000 a bottle!